The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / LSF News /

Retirement

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»
jimisim
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#11 | Posted: 5 Aug 2015 00:03
I'm pleased about that. Running LSF must be enjoyable and I sincerely hope the publishing arm has made it profitable as well.

As for myself, I eventually found a job after looking for over forty years that I can honestly say I enjoy..........
retirement.
Never forget "work" is a four letter obscenity ending in k.

As for Man U, now they've bought Schneiderlin they may do something this year.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#12 | Posted: 5 Aug 2015 00:41
jimisim:
I'm pleased about that. Running LSF must be enjoyable and I sincerely hope the publishing arm has made it profitable as well.

It's actually very far from enjoyable to be honest and takes up a great deal of time every day. Of course, it's a bit like an iceberg in that the majority of things that cause the problems are hidden from view. But, to offer an illustration, apart from the usual stuff such as the abusive emails from people who don't like being asked to make the occasional comment, the complaints that we haven't loaded anything for x days, the complaints that we haven't responded to some particular email within x days, the endless attempts to create multiple registrations in order to avoid commenting, the endless attempts from spammers to infiltrate the site, the various complaints that the site doesn't work in some particular combination of web browser and operating system, answering technical queries, the day to day stuff such as server problems, loading and indexing 25,000 items over the past 6 years, making changes to software modules, performing site backups, paying server fees and domain registration, we've had 3 massive attacks on the site in the last few weeks alone, one of which necessitated me giving up most of the weekend to deal with it and keep the site alive. So whatever else it might be, it's definitely not something I would ever call enjoyable.

As for the publishing arm, without it there would be no library site as it pays the server fees and other associated costs which used to come out of our own pocket.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#13 | Posted: 5 Aug 2015 04:01
Glad this turns out to be a joke but on the serious side of things and reading Februs's comment above I would like to know if we as a general audience can help out someway, somehow. The amount of work this site involves is heavy duty and although some do what they can, perhaps more of us can do more??

For example is there a way that simple emails asking for site info and how it works could be forwarded to some of us regulars to handle? I know it scares the hell out of some to think we may give wrong info but I don't think we would do that bad at it. I know what I would say to some one who complains about stories not loaded for example, but I would have to tame it down a bit to make it socially acceptable...LOL.

Warnings for non-commentors could come from other assigned people as well. Three warnings and your gone is a rule we could use for example.

I do not know if above would work or create more work for the admins but this scared me enough about losing the site to realize we as FREE members have to start sharing the load more if at all possible.

CS

Bogiephil1
Male Author

USA
#14 | Posted: 5 Aug 2015 16:31
Februs and Flopsy:

Please accept my gratitude for all your hard work to keep this site open. I'm sure many of us would be devastated if you decided to move on, even if you left the library in someone else's (presumably) capable hands. Febs, you've done so much for me personally and answered so many of my questions, so it's a relief to see that you're not leaving (at least anytime soon). Frankly, though, that was a rather unwelcome joke! Perhaps a visit with Miss Thrashbottom needs to occur...

Often123
Male Member

USA
#15 | Posted: 5 Aug 2015 17:48
I belong to several vanilla groups and am an assistant admin on a couple. I can fully understand the constant battle with spammers and phonies. I hope the Library will continue to grow and flourish. Vive la fesses.

blimp
Male Author

England
#16 | Posted: 5 Aug 2015 20:10
Glad you are not retiring. If you made a million out of the publishing arm I for one wouldn't begrudge you a single penny! Work you have both put in over the years you deserve more than abusive emails and the unkind attention of spammers!! This site is the very best! I hope you don't think we are unappreciative.

jimisim
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#17 | Posted: 5 Aug 2015 23:08
Hi Februs

Being a computer user, and having little or no understanding of running a site, I had no idea that spammers and attacks caused so much trouble. The innocence of us computer illiterates.
I despair at the foolishness of many of your complainants. I admit that I have asked several stupid technical questions, and I have always been amazed at the speed if your replies.
I doubt if any of us in the beginning realised just how successful the site would become, most expecting it to be a relatively small clubby site.
Such is the price of success, and really I wouldn't blame you if you did decide to retire.
Very many thanks for the great enjoyment you have given us.

RosieCheeks
Female Member

England
#18 | Posted: 6 Aug 2015 00:21
Computer illiterate as i am, (still not found where i put the oil in this thing), i concur with the posters above, LSF is truly appreciated, the work you put in i knew would have been massive, but when you went into the specifics it truly was mind blowing.

It does annoy me to frustration/anger when free sites have members complaining like spoiled ungrateful brats, to admins/moderators about things on the site, or about being asked to follow basic rules. Your patience is much more than mine would be, my view and this is only my personal opinion is, if folk want to be non compliant, make more work for admins etc, then they should leave and don't let the door hit their derriere as it closes.

I am pleased that the retirement is not a immediate plan, likewise there are not words strong enough to express the enjoyment i get from visiting LSF, and the gratitude i feel towards you for creating, maintaining and developing the site as you do. Thank You.

twisted8
Male Member

USA
#19 | Posted: 6 Aug 2015 09:29
Holy Mollie Batman. I just had a 'near death' experience. The LSF going away or into stasis. What would I do to scratch this most profound itch of mine. Glad it was something of a joke.............................whew!!!!!

Februs. A pox on all whiners and complainers!!!! The service has always been great as any reasonable person would understand. And no fee's. Where do some low life's get off! Send them packing!!!

Flopsy. The planet would slowly grind to a halt without you. More than all your fabulous stories but all the behind the scenes work. Even with all the empty single malt bottles and empty crisps bags cluttering things up you always manage to get things done.

Have you two considered grooming successors? Immortality awaits you both if you can find a way to pass on the tradition and all the work. Younger peoples time to step up and fall in the bucket as it were. Here in the PAC Northwest we have been seeing a changing of the guard as well at our CSPC. Kicked the Director upstairs to emeritus level and hired a new one 20 years younger. New board, new book keeping staff, new floor manger to handle our volunteers, and all the rest. Many of us who have taken leadership positions since, well forever it seems, have turned over the duties of upkeep, outreach, bookkeeping, glad handing, volunteering, presenting, AND the skull sweat that goes with it all. Not to mention carrying out the trash. Grin!

I empathize with you Februs. Time to kick back and enjoy. Let the youngsters take the responsibility. We did our time! For myself I want to go to scene gig's not plan them. Much the same feeling for the two of you I'm sure. Think about it. Please!!!

sampast
Female Author

USA
#20 | Posted: 6 Aug 2015 14:38
Well, Februs, and Flopsy, I think you both do an amazing job here. I know I haven't been around much. Sorry about that. But I've never had a problem with any of you. Thank you for all that you do here. You're wonderful!

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 6
buffalotom, EpicGamer, myrkassi, windar1
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9