LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / LSF News /

A comment on comments

Page  Page 3 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»
Alef
Male Author

Norway
#21 | Posted: 3 Jan 2012 20:32
Just a related question which may throw some light on the number of comments it is reasonable to expect. I see that the the library has more than 9000 members, but how many of these are reasonably active — is there, e.g., a statistics showing how many have been here the last month?

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#22 | Posted: 3 Jan 2012 21:03
Alef:
Just a related question which may throw some light on the number of comments it is reasonable to expect. I see that the the library has more than 9000 members, but how many of these are reasonably active — is there, e.g., a statistics showing how many have been here the last month?

I did some digging for my Annual Report article for the forthcoming Wellred Weekly and 5,793 different members visited the site in 2011 of which I believe less than a quarter commented at all.

wooz1111
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#23 | Posted: 3 Jan 2012 22:45
This thread makes me feel guilty about not commenting more often but often it seems that everything needing to be said has been said so what good would it do for me to just say I liked it too without going into some kind of detail. I would just imagine that other readers may feel the same and some may also feel as though they are barging in where they don't really belong. Puzzling. Also, I feel guilty because I don't write and share my thoughts and fantasies but unfortunately I feel what I do put down on paper is never quite right nor good enough for publication. Many of you writers just make me feel inept because you write so well and I resolve to add more encouragement in the future. Happy new year to you all...

MarkPhoenix
Male Author

USA
#24 | Posted: 3 Jan 2012 22:52
Having had my first story posted here recently, I'm just happy that someone -- make that anyone -- left comments. As for myself, I tend to leave comments only when I think I'm going to have something worthwhile to add.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#25 | Posted: 3 Jan 2012 23:09
wooz1111:
often it seems that everything needing to be said has been said so what good would it do

It does a lot of good, believe me. Just about anything is helpful feedback. If it reinforces a point someone else made, that's good too. It means more than one person felt the same about it.

wooz1111:
some may also feel as though they are barging in where they don't really belong.

I hope not. That certainly is not true. The readers are as much a part of this as the writers. It's a community. All comments are welcome and helpful. What is art without critics?
wooz1111:
unfortunately I feel what I do put down on paper is never quite right nor good enough for publication.

Again, not true. Just saying what you liked--the plot, a character, the action scene, the setting---it's all good. This aint the New York Times Book Review.

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#26 | Posted: 3 Jan 2012 23:20
wooz1111

Just write what you feel and don't think that it isn't quite right or possibly good enough for publication. Don't also be intimidated by other comments. Just write what you like or dislike about the story. You don't necessarily have to make detailed statements on the story. Don't feel that you might hurt the writers feelings, as well. But... if you don't like a story, just don't be nasty.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#27 | Posted: 3 Jan 2012 23:49
rollin:
How would you like to be reading Moby Dick and then Melville's ghost pops up out of nowhere and says, "how about them whales?"

I agree with you and Flopsy that maybe the pop-up message is likely not a good thing, but I personally would love to have Melville's ghost pop up and ask the question. Not only in Moby Dick but I can imagine a few other ghosts who would be so much fun to talk too....LOL

I also agree with Februs, and the reason for the start of this particular forum, we have done well over the past year and I for one, as a writer still under a year (but barely), the comments on my stories have been great. I also have achieved a good number of views and without all those couch potato's (I say that in a teasing loving way) I would not have attained the number of views I got.

I would like all the readers to know that as authors we love comments but there is a lot of satisfaction in just having the stories read, and for that all the writers on this site really appreciate you reading the stories.

antonbus
Male Author

Sweden
#28 | Posted: 4 Jan 2012 00:10
Like wooz1111 I feel that I also don't comment enough. As an author here I can only say that every comment has been appreciated. I don't expect readers to have constructive and lengthy criticism, but appreciate every small line I get, and if there is one or two suggestions or notes on particular details in the text, all the better. If several people comment on the same thing it helps me as an author to pinpoint whatever needs to be improved on or what works well.

So thanks all yee who comment

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#29 | Posted: 4 Jan 2012 06:57
wooz1111 & antonbus

Don't feel you have to comment on every story, or feel guilty when you don't, but DO make an effort to comment with some regularity. As others have said, you don't have to make a totally origonal comment, or analyze the story in depth. No author expects an essay (even if we have a couple readers here who tend to do that).

On the question of what more can be done to prod more comments out of readers, I would say that the current rules are just fine. No matter what you do, there will be people who don't comment. Although, as am author, I have no real objection to an occasional "good story" type of comment, prodding a few more of them from reluctant commenters doesn't add much to my satisfaction. If threads recognizing our commenters help encourage others, that's a good thing, but we don't need any more arm-twisting rules. My purpose in starting this thread was to recognize what a fine interactive community we already have - thanks to both the site management and a large number of members.

Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#30 | Posted: 4 Jan 2012 14:13
I like to comment whenever possible, especially if its a story I really liked. And as an author always pleased when I see a new comment about a story I posted some time ago. One thing I notice is that a number of my stories have multiple comments, and some have none, yet I feel I put as much effort into writing them. Admit it is a bit frustrating to not get feedback on one I especially enjoyed writing. To take one example: "Melanie-White Pants,Red Bottom- would love to hear what others thought of what to me was a hot image-her red bottom showing through her translucent pants. Might add the story was inspired by someone who actually wore pants like that, though no idea if she ever got spanked.

Page  Page 3 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»

Online now: Members - 3 : Guests - 4
ArthurRanc, katee, PGreenham
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9