Comment Glut - Revisited

Page  Page 4 of 7: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »»
TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#31 | Posted: 5 Jun 2011 20:57
Sebastian:
I struggled through this contest and took away my time from reading stories.

It's always a shame to feel you have to struggle, but I estimate that at least half of all the Challenge poems, maybe more, ARE stories. They're just presented slightly differently than prose stories.

Sebastian:
I must be behind 100 stories.

Boy, if YOU'RE behind that many, Sebastian, I hate to think how much further behind the rest of us are. You certainly do set high standards! Good on you. Enjoy what you enjoy!

Guy
Male Author

USA
#32 | Posted: 5 Jun 2011 23:15
Sebastian:
To be honestly truthful, I am not a big fan on any poetry,

Don't feel bad Sebastian. The fact is, I didn't get the poetry gene either. Perhaps my father did something wrong that night? Similarly, jazz is totally lost on me. I love an amazingly broad spectrum of music from rock, to country, to classical, to world music, but jazz is just boring. Go figure!

I think the poetry contest is a great idea and I'm glad we did it, but it's a great idea for others to enjoy.

Guy

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#33 | Posted: 6 Jun 2011 02:48
Sebastian:
Maybe I had too much Jack Daniels Black to drink.

Not a bad thing, come to think of it.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#34 | Posted: 6 Jun 2011 02:50
Sebastian:
Sorry about the spelling of FEBRUS. I always try and proof read. Maybe I had too much Jack Daniels Black to drink. (LOLOLO)

Don't worry, I've been called MUCH worse...

jimisim
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#35 | Posted: 6 Jun 2011 14:35
Guy:
Don't feel bad Sebastian. The fact is, I didn't get the poetry gene either. Perhaps my father did something wrong that night? Similarly, jazz is totally lost on me. I love an amazingly broad spectrum of music from rock, to country, to classical, to world music, but jazz is just boring. Go figure!

I feel the same except from Betjeman and The WW1 poets, poetry has never interested me over-much, and as for writing it I'm absolutely clueless.
I blame having to learn Iambic pentameters for O level latin, probably the biggest waste of time ever.

Similarly with music, I love blues and R&B but don't get Jazz. Can't say I'm much of a fan of country either.

I thought about writing a parody of the old bawdy song-The Good Ship Venus for the competition, to raise the tone a little.
However I got bored after three verses, and couldn't be bothered.

it could be quite fun though for others to carry this disgracefully rude song on with a spanking theme.

blimp
Male Author

England
#36 | Posted: 6 Jun 2011 15:00
I love Betjeman and the WW1 poets too. Especially Owen, although Rupert Brooke's The Soldier was the first poet to ever send trickles down my spine. Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman never fails to have the same effect no matter how many times I read it. As for Keats, Shelley, Wordsworth, Byron I must admit they leave me unmoved, perhaps I don't possess enough of the "romantic spirit"?

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#37 | Posted: 6 Jun 2011 17:36
blimp:
I love Betjeman and the WW1 poets too. Especially Owen, although Rupert Brooke's The Soldier was the first poet to ever send trickles down my spine. Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman never fails to have the same effect no matter how many times I read it. As for Keats, Shelley, Wordsworth, Byron I must admit they leave me unmoved, perhaps I don't possess enough of the "romantic spirit"?

I figured that a guy like you would be fond of Tennyson's "The Charge of the Light Brigade."

Personally, I'd go more for "Lines and Squares" by A.A. Milne... --C.K.

blimp
Male Author

England
#38 | Posted: 6 Jun 2011 19:46
CrimsonKidCK:
I figured that a guy like you would be fond of Tennyson's "The Charge of the Light Brigade."

Whaddya mean a guy like me? I hope you don't think I am a retired right wing Colonel moaning about how times have changed and whatever happened to the good old days!! Nothing could be further than the truth! The charge of the light brigade is a good poem but it doesnt move me like The Highwayman, Ben Jonson's Song To Celia, or anything that Wilfred Owen wrote. It's not a question of quality its just what appeals to you.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#39 | Posted: 6 Jun 2011 20:20
Guy:
but jazz is just boring

Heresy! Have you tried Bill Evans, Stan Getz or Paul Desmond or any of the truly lyrical players in the genre? Ella Fitzgerald? Count Basie?

jimisim:
I love blues and R&B but don't get Jazz.

Jazz is based on the blues. It just takes it a few steps further. For example most everything Charlie Parker wrote was a modified blues form.

blimp
Male Author

England
#40 | Posted: 6 Jun 2011 22:26
rollin:
Guy:
but jazz is just boring

That is almost sacrilege!! Mind you I prefer the blues! Especially if it's Billy Holiday. Although her voice is too sad if I am not in the mood! I even like country but preferably nothing too cheesy. Guy Clark, Gillian Welch, Johnny Cash. None of that D.I.V.O.R.C.E and similar sentimental tunes. My all time favourite though is Tom Waits with Dylan not far behind. Love Maria Callas, especially when she sings Vissi d'arte. It never fails to bring a tear to my eye although I am not usually given to extravagant shows of emotion!

Page  Page 4 of 7: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 8
Essexotk, mihaispk, school, stuartray, yuntsuchen
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9