The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Looking for a proofreader

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 15 Oct 2017 19:38
Hello all.

I've tried to age stories until they are no longer running around in my head - so I won't mentally correct missing words, wrong tenses, etc.

I've tried looking at them in different fonts using different word processes.

I have tried many proofreading tricks I've heard about - but nothing seems to work. I can finish a story, proof the hell out of it, and miss things such as missing words, wrong tenses, missing suffixes (this is a big one), and numerous other thing that really should be caught before I send a story to this library.

So is there anyone out there who is willing to proofread my stories before I send them in? What you would get: A sneak peek at my stories, seeing them before the rest of the world. What I would get: A second set of eyes looking for errors that are invisible to me. If you're interested in helping, contact me via my author page.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#2 | Posted: 15 Oct 2017 20:14
LOL. I have a autocorrect program I buy and still miss stuff. I can't proof my own stuff, no good at doing it for others. LMAO

RyanRowland
Male Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 16 Oct 2017 04:06
I sympathize because I have the same problem, and I'm sure it must be almost universal, at least among amateur writers such as we. And if I keep going over a story until I find no more mistakes, I'd probably never get anything submitted.

Goodgulf:
I've tried looking at them in different fonts using different word processes.

I've tried that too. One technique I use is to convert my stories to html format so they look rather similar to reading them in the library. It still doesn't guarantee I will find all the mistakes, but at least it checks whether I've messed up on any inserted italics code. (It's fairly easy to do with a couple of lines of very basic html code.)

The only thing that makes me hesitant to volunteer as a proofreader is that I'm not a grammar expert, and I'd feel bad if I failed to catch an error.

stevenr
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 16 Oct 2017 08:45
I can read a story several times, and before long, I see what I expect to see, not what's actually been written. So, count me out as an effective proof reader.

Belsteph
Male Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 16 Oct 2017 21:19
I have done some proofreading in the past - not for spanking stories, but I am certainly willing to try to help you.

opb
Male Author

England
#6 | Posted: 19 Oct 2017 08:42
I have found that the process of proof reading another writer's work for this site has improved my own grasp of grammar, or more accurately it has forced me to explain the reasons why things are as they are and thus I think more carefully about my own use of language.

It's certainly the case that finding all the errors in one's own work is next to impossible, because as stevenr says, you see what you expect to see.

BlooDenim
Male Member

England
SUBSCRIBER

#7 | Posted: 19 Oct 2017 12:34
I will gladly.

I have done it for another Author and I have excellent grammar-nazi vision, lol.

I have the time and the necessary and would consider it a privilege.

If you send an unproofed story to me, that could be a satisfactory test ?

If you are willing, pm and I'll give you my e-mail address.

Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#8 | Posted: 19 Oct 2017 16:53
I sympathize.I think I go over stuff carefully ,and still mistakes get in. Wish there was a way to go back and correct errors that show up after a story has already gotten posted here.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#9 | Posted: 19 Oct 2017 17:15
My auto correct reads my story back to me out loud now. Makes a Hugh difference when the story is read back to you. I now catch all sorts of little things I missed before.

CS

andromena
Female Author

USA
#10 | Posted: 20 Oct 2017 12:10
Two things that help me:

1) let it sit for days or weeks, and come back to it.

2) read through it aloud. This will help with grammar and flow, not so much with plot and concept, so it's typically the last thing I do before sending it out.

Online now: Members - 2 : Guests - 19
Dagnir, gingerpubes
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9