LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Sentence structure?

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»
canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#11 | Posted: 16 Oct 2017 17:28
I have a habit of calling women whom I don't know the status of 'My Lady'. Had perhaps 5 complaints about it out of every 100 times I use it, but most don't seem to mind. Only work about 20 hours monthly so don't use it that much but I got it from watching movies about King Arthur and round table.

opb
Male Author

England
#12 | Posted: 17 Oct 2017 11:30
I normally address lady customers as "Madam" when we meet for the first time and it shocks them so much that they almost immediately insist on first names. It is a useful form of address because it's much easier to say then "Mrs Whatsit"

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 20 Oct 2017 19:20
opb:
I like the bit where the Britons stop their battle at 4 o'clock so they can drink hot water "with a cloud of milk"

My favourite bit is just after that, when the Romans unsportingly attack while the Brits are having their water-break, and the Brits look up and say: "Aoh, c'est choquant, n'est-il pas?"

Hotspur
Male Author

South_Africa
#14 | Posted: 20 Oct 2017 20:31
@ PhilK, Ironically it seems likely that the language of ancient Britain differed little from that of Gaul. Comparison with what is known of the Gaulish language suggests a close relationship with Old Brythonic (Common Brittonic).

Blarg
Male Member

USA
#15 | Posted: 29 Oct 2017 04:00
RyanRowland

...but I suspect that male siblings got top billing in that phrase due to the fact that historically it's been a male-dominated society.

I doubt it, because we also say "ladies and gentlemen".

RyanRowland
Male Author

USA
#16 | Posted: 29 Oct 2017 04:19
Blarg:
RyanRowland

...but I suspect that male siblings got top billing in that phrase due to the fact that historically it's been a male-dominated society.

I doubt it, because we also say "ladies and gentlemen".

You have a point. But that's a phrase I associate with special occasions when you put on your fancy public manners as opposed to everyday speech.

RosieRad
Female Author

USA
#17 | Posted: 29 Oct 2017 05:16
But it's always "ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls"

Glagla
Male Author

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#18 | Posted: 29 Oct 2017 13:31
But it's "women and children first..."

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#19 | Posted: 30 Oct 2017 13:19
RosieRad:

But also, generally, 'men and women'. When we're talking straightforwardly, it seems we use the order that reflects everyday life, the patriarchy. When we're being self-consciously polite, 'ladies' come first (and not just in life-boats, Glagla).

Or perhaps 'Ladies and gentlemen' dates from a time when women's status was inferior by such a secure distance that men felt able to be generous in such modes of address, salving their guilty consciences with the pretence that they put women first.

RosieCheeks
Female Member

England
#20 | Posted: 30 Oct 2017 22:50
RosieRad:

I was told it came from the phrase "My Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen", so Lords (titled gentlemen) said first then their wives (Ladies) and lastly men who did not hold a noble rank, so if no noblemen around i guess it is Ladies and Gentlemen, hurrah patriarchy defeated for us commoners.

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 12
Adrian, Elodie, EpicGamer, RogerHunt
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9