The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Memories of long ago beaches

Page  Page 3 of 3: «« 1 2 3
RosieCheeks
Female Member

England
#21 | Posted: 2 Sep 2017 22:28
RosieRad:
I think women, especially, should stop telling other women what they should and should not wear.

Yes folk should wear whatever they wish, but likewise others should not be told what they should or should not say, both freedoms that we have in a democracy within certain boundaries.

RosieRad
Female Author

USA
#22 | Posted: 2 Sep 2017 22:58
RosieCheeks:
Yes folk should wear whatever they wish, but likewise others should not be told what they should or should not say, both freedoms that we have in a democracy within certain boundaries.

The point is that telling people what they "should" and "shouldn't" wear can have very harmful effects in terms of body image, which is related to a lot of serious stuff like eating disorders, depression, etc. So while everyone has the "right" to say what they like about what other people should wear, it can be very harmful. People who do not wish to do harm "should" be careful about what they say about what other people wear or should wear.

On the flip side, I don't think that telling people that they should avoid saying harmful things to other people causes any similar kind of harm. Thus I don't think telling people what they should or shouldn't wear, and telling people what they should or shouldn't say to others about what to wear, are equivalent at all.

This gets back to Redskinluver's point about Americans having messed up body image issues.

RosieCheeks
Female Member

England
#23 | Posted: 3 Sep 2017 17:07
RosieRad:
The point is that telling people what they "should" and "shouldn't" wear can have very harmful effects in terms of body image, which is related to a lot of serious stuff like eating disorders, depression, etc. So while everyone has the "right" to say what they like about what other people should wear, it can be very harmful. People who do not wish to do harm "should" be careful about what they say about what other people wear or should wear.

On the flip side, I don't think that telling people that they should avoid saying harmful things to other people causes any similar kind of harm. Thus I don't think telling people what they should or shouldn't wear, and telling people what they should or shouldn't say to others about what to wear, are equivalent at all.

This gets back to Redskinluver's point about Americans having messed up body image issues.

I have never other than in job setting, told anyone that their clothing needed looking at.

Freedom of expression through clothing, and freedom of speech - expressing an opinion, are democratic rights, ranking them for equivalence is not issue, a right is a right.

To use a version of the oft quoted phrase, "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I don't think LSF is platform to debate such a issue, so i shall not comment further, other than to say i shall focus on reading/commenting on stories regarding a tender hiney, rather than expressing my views that could be seen as whiney.

.............and they all lived happily ever after

RosieRad
Female Author

USA
#24 | Posted: 3 Sep 2017 18:01
"With great power comes great responsibility." I'd hope that everyone would attempt to use their rights responsibly. And that's all I'll say on that topic. Sorry to have derailed the beach thread.

Page  Page 3 of 3: «« 1 2 3

Online now: Members - 3 : Guests - 8
Myya, spanksandsuch, thepsyborg
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9