Crossword clues

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2
mj2001
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#11 | Posted: 6 Jun 2017 21:31
blimp

Yep that's the only one that immediately jumped out at me.

Spankedjenny
Female Validater

USA
#12 | Posted: 6 Jun 2017 22:40
#1 & #7 confuse the bejabbers out of me! I thought...ok Tuscany, that's in Italy. 'Sera' (sp?) is Italian for evening....'cane', which was the only plausible answer is 'dog' in Italian.

#7...No matter how I tried I could not puzzle this one out and still can't, but then again I'm not the sharpest Cheddar on the cheese tray!

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#13 | Posted: 6 Jun 2017 22:49
Spankedjenny:
#1 & #7 confuse the bejabbers out of me! I thought...ok Tuscany, that's in Italy. 'Sera' (sp?) is Italian for evening....'cane', which was the only plausible answer is 'dog' in Italian.

#7...No matter how I tried I could not puzzle this one out and still can't, but then again I'm not the sharpest Cheddar on the cheese tray!

Dear gentle soft cheese, much valued on the cheese tray...

1. 'Rod in Tus CAN E vening' - it's a hidden word.

7. 'They hurt confused priests' - 'confused' indicates an anagram (think 'jumbled up'). 'Priests' is an anagram of 'stripes'. Stripes hurt.

RosieRad
Female Author

USA
#14 | Posted: 6 Jun 2017 23:40
"Saint knocking for punishment" took me the longest (ST + RAPPING)

Spankedjenny
Female Validater

USA
#15 | Posted: 7 Jun 2017 04:16
Well, TEM..

When you spell it out it makes all the sense in the world, but my walnut sized brain is not strong enough to think in those circles. I am amazed by those who can. I do crossword puzzles all the time and thought, a good three hours before anyone commented, "I have this in the bag!" then quietly slunk away and went to the bus stop to wait for the 'short bus'!

stevenr
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 7 Jun 2017 05:01
I personally have to be in the right frame of mind to work crossword puzzles. For me it's a certain type of thought process where I have to give up the notion that people actually speak this way. it's kind of like the old word problems we used to do in math, you know where.

Sally says, if you take the age of my cat, multiply it by 12 add 9, subtract 1 then divide by 2 you will get 34. I used to have to help my girlfriends son with this stuff, he could wrap his head around it, he's too literal and couldn't get past the idea people don't talk this way, except in math problems and crossword puzzles.

RosieRad
Female Author

USA
#17 | Posted: 7 Jun 2017 05:22
These clues are what I would call "Cryptic Crossword" clues, where there are 2 clues in each clue that go together, as opposed to our standard NYT Crossword kind of clues that are more straightforward.

BlooDenim
Male Member

England
SUBSCRIBER

#18 | Posted: 9 Jun 2017 10:10
Oh but I love cryptic crosswords and I missed this because we were away for my birthday . Coronation Day to be precise!

Could/should we compile a monthly crossword for the site?

There could be clues relating to that month's publications............

Glowingmoons
Male Author

England
#19 | Posted: 21 Jan 2018 06:54
I found this thread while looking through old posts.
If anyone is interested in a similar theme (while the solver is being gratuitously punished) you will find it here. It's quite short !

http://www.thespankinglibrary.org/iframe.php?story=29322

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 17
Hotscot, insonia, kanestrokes, Nelon, saripas, xenmur
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9