LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Handmaid's Tale

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2
Raptor
Male Author

Canada
#11 | Posted: 22 May 2017 23:13
Don't mean to be argumentative, Burgundy, so please don't think I was attacking Maggie personally. I'm just not attracted to the mainstream of things.

I never liked Tommy Hunter although he stayed on the air for the better part of 30 years, never cheered for the Montreal Canadians. I always thought the Friendly Giant was kinda creepy. I mean, who keeps a rooster named Rusty in a bag? I stopped eating Mars Bars after I saw Nancy Green do the commercials. I'm unmoved by Peter Mansbridge's rendition of the news, and honestly think Anna Marie Tremonti is a crashing bore. I think Rex Murphy is a windbag if a sometimes entertaining one. I never drink Molsons Canadian or Labatts Blue...but there may be ray of hope as I stop at Tim Hortons for an extra large double double just about every day.

RosieRad
Female Author

USA
#12 | Posted: 23 May 2017 04:44
"Normal's just someone you don't know well yet."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8YFYprogME

rebeccafox
Female Member

USA
#13 | Posted: 29 May 2017 03:56
I'm really enjoying the show, but I think it's a bit over the top. It just feels too soon, too fast. Societies change overnight, but this is almost going back in time.

And now, with in-vitro fertilization....it seems less likely.

JessicaK
Female Author

Canada
#14 | Posted: 29 May 2017 23:43
rebeccafox
This is a major flaw, you're right. Atwood wrote in the 1980s, when fertility medicine was lightyears behind where it is now. If she wrote today, the more realistic scenario would be forcible egg harvesting from women with viable ovaries - still awful, but less viscerally so. Although given the religious objections to IVF, I suppose that could be handwaved away as well.

The book was very much a product of the 1980s, and while the show works wonderfully on some levels, it's hard to update it appropriately in others.

EnemaNewbie
Female Member

Canada
#15 | Posted: 24 Jun 2018 21:02
redbank1958:
Plenty of videos showing real life nonconsensual disciplining of girls and woman around the world. Some of the Arab blogs have videos of home punishments that are kind of brutal. On a Belgium blog there was a video of an Arab police punishments where three women were lined up and one by one were bent over a horse and paddled.

What is the web address of the Arab blogs and Belgium blog you are talking about?

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#16 | Posted: 24 Jun 2018 22:42
Don't know if anyone here is still watching the show (very good TV by the way), but there was a scene a few weeks ago where Fred strapped his wife Joy. She was bent over and he applied the strokes of the belt while Offred watched. The camera centred mostly on the rise and fall of the belt and the expressions Offred made as she witnessed it, there were a couple of shots of Joy's face making pained and shocked expressions. It was given over her clothed backside. A scene at the end showed her examining the damage in private and she had quite a welted bottom.

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#17 | Posted: 26 Jun 2018 18:14
Raptor:
I'm just not attracted to the mainstream of things.

I never liked Tommy Hunter although he stayed on the air for the better part of 30 years, never cheered for the Montreal Canadians. I always thought the Friendly Giant was kinda creepy. I mean, who keeps a rooster named Rusty in a bag? I stopped eating Mars Bars after I saw Nancy Green do the commercials. I'm unmoved by Peter Mansbridge's rendition of the news, and honestly think Anna Marie Tremonti is a crashing bore. I think Rex Murphy is a windbag if a sometimes entertaining one. I never drink Molsons Canadian or Labatts Blue...but there may be ray of hope as I stop at Tim Hortons for an extra large double double just about every day.

Ok, so how about Canadian filmmakers - David Cronenberg, Denis Villeneuve, Sarah Polley, Denys Arcand, Guy Maddin, Atom Egoyan, James Cameron, etc...?

fatherjim
Male Member

USA
#18 | Posted: 6 Jul 2018 15:10
Dear redbank1958, I agree with Enema Newbie in asking for the sites you quoted. I eswpecially would like to see the police one. Thanks!

BitingLip
Female Member

England
#19 | Posted: 9 Jul 2018 14:19
I find it quite disturbing to watch ...

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 18
brettchad, kenjperr, linusvan, Nelon
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9