Speaking of little thrills ...

Page  Page 4 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»
TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#31 | Posted: 14 Jan 2017 13:50
Glagla:
I just spent half an hour trying to figure out what 'wrack up' means, but the best I can find is 'crash' or 'bundle up' which neither makes much sense to me.

mj may have been using an american spelling, but in English English it'd be "rack up", meaning "accumulate' or, more simply, "get".

He means you get a lot of comments, whatever you write.

Glagla
Male Author

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#32 | Posted: 14 Jan 2017 14:55
Ah! Thanks for that Master, so it was a positive comment then.

Or was it...? <twilight zone music playing> 'whatever I write'. I hope he didn't mean that I get lots of comments no matter what shit I put up on site....

It's difficult to not be able to follow the fine details, insinuations and irony of a language, but it's educational. Next year I'll argue for that everybody will have to write in Swedish instead so I can shine for a change.

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#33 | Posted: 14 Jan 2017 15:13
mj2001:
There are actually only 31 completed stories lying around on my hard drive right now.

That is one hell of an 'only'.....

Burgundy
Female Member

Canada
#34 | Posted: 14 Jan 2017 15:22
31 stories? 68?? 195??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH BOTH OF YOU?! Do you live in a different time scale that has 100 hours per day instead of 24 or something? I'm lucky if I can cram in writing one story every six weeks , and to even do that, I have to neglect my actual work... (sshh, don't tell anyone). And that probably won't last, either.

Also sorry to hear you won't be writing as much, MJ. I love your stories, too, even though most of them make me uncomfortable (you can take that as a compliment)

Interesting as well that you're able to tweak your writing per comment suggestions. I *wish* I could do that, but I can't. Either something comes into my head and I write it down, or nuthin'. My keyboard is like "oh, you wanna change some details? NOPE! It's my way or the highway."

Burgundy
Female Member

Canada
#35 | Posted: 14 Jan 2017 15:28
TheEnglishMaster:
mj may have been using an american spelling, but in English English it'd be "rack up"

Check out the English English Master of Tact over here.
YO, MJ, YOU SPELLED IT WROOOOONNNG! Nyah nyah nyah nyah...

RosieRad
Female Author

USA
#36 | Posted: 14 Jan 2017 16:37
Glagla:
I just spent half an hour trying to figure out what 'wrack up' means, but the best I can find is 'crash' or 'bundle up' which neither makes much sense to me.

rack up means to accumulate -- wrack up is a misspelling of rack up.

http://grammarist.com/usage/rack-wrack/

Glagla
Male Author

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#37 | Posted: 14 Jan 2017 17:51
Thanks everybody for pointing the rack-wrack thing out, sorry that I got everyone picking on MJ... I guess it was an insignificant misspelling that was obvious to everybody but me

Glagla
Male Author

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#38 | Posted: 14 Jan 2017 18:03
Burgundy:
31 stories? 68?? 195??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH BOTH OF YOU?! Do you live in a different time scale that has 100 hours per day instead of 24 or something? I'm lucky if I can cram in writing one story every six weeks , and to even do that, I have to neglect my actual work... (sshh, don't tell anyone).

Well, it's because you're a girl. You probably have to do cooking and cleaning that steals time from your writing Just kidding, I do that too, but I get sort of attacks when I just have to write so I skip sleeping one night a week or so when my fingers start shaking and I write two or three stories at the same time. They do require some cleaning up afterwards of course, but I have an hour to travel to work and the same to go back home and I usually manage to find a single slot to sit at the end of the train where I can write in peace, so I can keep a rather high production rate. It's not so high by the way, two to three stories a week at best, it takes me ages to clean up the English. Damn, your language is hard!

Unfortunately I'm of a one-track mind and it's difficult for me to get any wide variation to the plots, which is why people's comments are so important to me. I don't have very much ideas myself, but when someone gives me a few lines or an idea for a plot I go like, 'damn, that's a good idea, I have to write that'. Sometimes the comments to one single story can be the fuel for three or more stories. So thank you people and if you want to read more from me, keep them comments coming! That's my inner attention whore speaking of course, but your comments really do help.

mj2001
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#39 | Posted: 14 Jan 2017 19:23
Yepp, guillty off thot typograffical eror, sory four tha confuseon.

mj

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#40 | Posted: 14 Jan 2017 19:39
Burgundy:
Check out the English English Master of Tact over here.
YO, MJ, YOU SPELLED IT WROOOOONNNG! Nyah nyah nyah nyah...

Tsk Can we keep the conversation for the over-7's please?

Noah Webster speculates in the fourth edition of A Compendious Dictionary of the English Language (1806) that the additional 'w' appended to the front of the verb 'rack' may have survived as a result of the little-known but widespread incidence of rhotacism* among the earliest settlers in North America.

'Wrack' is regarded, among both academic and lay communities across that continent, as an entirely legitimate alternative spelling of 'rack' , though certain rogue elements of the ex-nordic francophone canuck community do struggle to accept this.

*rhotacism: speech impediment involving the inability to say the letter R.

Page  Page 4 of 5: «« 1 2 3 4 5 »»

Online now: Members - 12 : Guests - 7
Alef, danjackson84, laura82, makkunny, manhattan, MsPicker, myrkassi, naughtyboylaw25, Petster, Redwolf64, Seegee, sidel
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9