The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Smalltalk /

Seven Sanurai

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
Wheatwine
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 2 Dec 2016 02:16
I know there are a lot of folks on this web site who are experts on various subjects, so perhaps someone has information I can use. I'm thinking of putting together a collection of DVDs of the Seven Samurai and all its remakes. I'm aware of The Magnificent Seven and Battle Beyond The Stars. (I already have that one.) I think I can remember seeing one back in the 70s, perhaps called Hercules and the Seven Warriors, but have not been able to find any information about it. Perhaps there are other versions of this cult classic I am not familiar with. Any information anyone has, I would appreciate.

Mdare
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 2 Dec 2016 08:34
There's a Hong Kong film from the 1980s called Seven Warriors that has pretty much the same plot. And of course, there's the recent remake of The Magnificent Seven (a remake of a remake).

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 2 Dec 2016 10:52
John Lasseter's 1998 animated film A Bug's Life broadly spoofs the plot of SS. There's a Playstation video game from 2004 called Seven Samurai 20XX. Also a 2006 documentary, Seven Samurai: Origins and Influences, could be relevant (I've not seen it).

Glagla
Male Author

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 2 Dec 2016 13:17
I don't know if you can call Steve Martin's "The Three Amigos" a remake, but it spoofs the story pretty well, making fun of it.

rachelredbum
Female Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 2 Dec 2016 18:12
i tried watching the three amigos but found it so stupid and obnoxious I could not watch past the opening credits

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 3 Dec 2016 07:11
They also did a TV show of The Magnificent Seven in the 90's I think, and have recently remade the film.

Collegeboy
Male Member

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#7 | Posted: 3 Dec 2016 16:22
There is an anime series, called Samurai 7, which is a remake using a more futuristic background. It's pretty good, and is available as a complete series.

While how much it resembles Seven Samurai is up interpretation., there is an cheap 80's fantasy movie, called Hawk the Slayer, where the title character has to regroup his old adventuring comrades to save a temple. Not a literal retelling, but has some common themes. The idea of a bunch of people coming together to fight a villain is ubiquitous enough that it's hard to say which is more strictly related to Seven Samurai than others.

Also, while not a movie, in Marvel's old Star Wars comics, there is an infamous story (due to a green anthropomorphic rabbit alien) where Han Solo and Chewie take part in a retelling of it. I don't know how hard the comics are to acquire though.

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 4 Dec 2016 00:26
I remember Hawk the Slayer, it was a sword and sorcery thing. Dreadful, even for the time, although I think it's become a bit of a cult classic. Daniel Polansky's novella The Builders has that Seven Samurai feel about it, albeit with anthropomorphic animals as the main characters. Sort of The Wind in the Willows meets Quentin Tarantino or Sam Pekinpah.

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#9 | Posted: 24 Dec 2016 14:46
By coincidence, the current issue of Empire magazine has a short article on 'Seven Samurai and its Remakes' (p. 135). I don't think it mentions any films that haven't already been name-checked in this thread, but you might find it of interest.

LawnDawg
Male Member

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#10 | Posted: 24 Dec 2016 21:52
By cheating and going to IMDb here is all the films they say are remakes of Seven Samurai

The Magnificent Seven (1960)

Niekas nenorejo mirti (1966)
Lithuanian version of Kurosawa's film in post the World War II Lithuania.

Kill a Dragon (1967)

Duel of the Seven Tiger (1979)
The film is about 7 martial arts masters who are enlisted to eliminate a Japanese Karate expert who is threatening the Chinese martial arts community

Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)
This is a remake of the film.

I sette magnifici gladiatori (1983)

Dikiy vostok (1993)

China Gate (1998)

Joe D'Amato's 'Outlaws' (1998) (Video)

The Final Assault (1999) (Video)

Samurai 7 (2004) (TV Series)
animated remake

The Magnificent Eleven (2012)
The main plot is an homage to this earlier movie

The Magnificent Seven (2016)