Don't forget it's fiction

Page  Page 4 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»
CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#31 | Posted: 5 May 2011 14:21
canadianspankee:
We know some writers have a tougher hide then others but please do not tell me authors should not take comments personally. We all take comments personally, otherwise no one would give one hoot if anyone commented. Februs asked we all remember its fiction, maybe my view of that comment is wrong but to me the intent was reminding us not to be so critical of others writing because we happen to disagree with the story details. If all my stories came under attack for the contents of the story I certainly would feel not welcome on this site, and would soon stop writing, and I believe I am not alone in my thinking.

Well, as I understand it Februs has stated that he didn't mean to stifle or restrict legitimate discussion of any stories just because their content is fictional, he was apparently referring (in his original post) almost entirely to comments that were rejected or removed and to private e-mails directed at this Library (and therefore to himself as its administrator).

There's a critical difference between criticism of a story's characters and situations and association of them with the author personally. As Jools pointed out, a strong reaction by a reader to one or more of an author's characters, regardless of whether its positive or negative, is actually a high compliment to that person's writing skill in portraying the character(s). An author who can't effectively distinguish between commentary on his/her characters and situations and comments directed at him/herself personally--well, AFAIC that individual obviously needs a 'reality check.'

BTW, in the stories that I've read and commented on, IIRC the vast majority of the posted commentary has been positive and encouraging. If there's serious danger of any particular author being driven away by a deluge of negative comments on his/her stories, I haven't perceived it although of course there are certain authors I'm more likely to read than others--so my reading experience in this LIbrary is necessarily limited.

I'd have to bluntly venture that an author who's going to be upset about discussion/debate RE his/her characters shouldn't post his/her stories where that occurring is a distinct possibility--which of course includes this Library. (I personally would react much as Jools apparently does, I'd find any discussion/debate engendered by any of my stories to be highly flattering, quite the opposite of offensive, even if the readers didn't necessarily perceive my own characters exactly the way that I did.)

However, other readers/commenters feeling the need to sanctimoniously pronounce that "This is fiction, it's just a story" in the middle of a posted discussion on that story, as though only their 'superior intellects' are capable of grasping that obvious truth, THAT I do find quite annoying... --C.K.

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#32 | Posted: 5 May 2011 14:38
mati:
So I actually made nearly every possible mistake a reader could do in a few days. If I don't comment, I'm a moocher. If I comment, somebody will certainly find something wrong or feel offended for one or the other reason. Therefore I'm a little bit at a loss, what to do?

As John Wayne would say, "Do whatever you damn well please."

All those 'restrictions' on commentary that you quoted are mere suggestions... --C.K.

blimp
Male Author

England
#33 | Posted: 5 May 2011 14:50
CrimsonKidCK:
However, other readers/commenters feeling the need to sanctimoniously pronounce that "This is fiction, it's just a story" in the middle of a posted discussion on that story, as though only their 'superior intellects' are capable of grasping that obvious truth, THAT I do find quite annoying.

Whoops!! Possibly that was me, CK? If so, guilty as charged but in fairness someone said that they hoped the stepmother in my story died a lonely death! I did then point out via the comments facility that it was only fiction, which I still think was a fair comment. Comments are a tricky subject but if anyone has something interesting to say I would personally rather they said it. Knee jerk prejudices they can of course save for the Daily Mail letters to the editor page!

Guy
Male Author

USA
#34 | Posted: 5 May 2011 15:07
mati:
So I actually made nearly every possible mistake a reader could do in a few days. If I don't comment, I'm a moocher. If I comment, somebody will certainly find something wrong or feel offended for one or the other reason. Therefore I'm a little bit at a loss, what to do?

I suggest more commenting practice Mati. Practice on my stories all you want!

Don't worry, I comment a lot and have probably made all of those same "mistakes". I intend to continue...

Guy (GuySpencer)

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#35 | Posted: 5 May 2011 15:14
Goodgulf has posted a perfect example of the kind of thing I was referring to in my initial post:

Goodgulf:
The worse one I every read came long before I started posting. I think it was back in the days of alt.sex.spanking (ASS). Someone had just posted one of those completely unrealistic stories (one that makes you think that the person had never even watched a spanking video) and someone posted something along the lines of "I hope you never have children because anyone who could write that doesn't deserve to be a parent!!". Okay, it has some obscenity, a lot of CAPS and far more punctuation than it should, but that's the gist of it.

It's not exclusive to, but often in connection with, stories with children in. The type of commenter I was referring to is typically:

1. Aggressive and hostile.
2. Quick to make personal attacks on the author of the story either directly or by implication.
3. Lacking in rationality and highly emotive.
4. Not content with expressing their personal view but wants to exert control over what others should be able to read.
5. Condescending in a pseudo-moralistic kind of way and sees themselves as some sort of moral arbiter.
6. Unable to differentiate a fictional piece of writing from actual real events.

Both myself and flopsy have had encounters with these kind of people in the past on other sites we have been involved in and been personally attacked by them. At one point they virtually killed off a site we'd been running for some time and not content with that went onto other sites to condemn us. Consequently, these days I tend to have zero tolerance for this kind of thing.

On here we invest a huge amount of effort in classifying every single item with as much information as possible such that the would-be reader can avoid those kind of stories they're likely to find not to their taste. Obviously it's not possible to include everything but as PhilK pointed out if you come across an author whose subject matter or writing style is not to your taste then simply avoid them in the future.

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#36 | Posted: 5 May 2011 17:44
blimp:
CrimsonKidCK: However, other readers/commenters feeling the need to sanctimoniously pronounce that "This is fiction, it's just a story" in the middle of a posted discussion on that story, as though only their 'superior intellects' are capable of grasping that obvious truth, THAT I do find quite annoying.
Whoops!! Possibly that was me, CK? If so, guilty as charged but in fairness someone said that they hoped the stepmother in my story died a lonely death! I did then point out via the comments facility that it was only fiction, which I still think was a fair comment. Comments are a tricky subject but if anyone has something interesting to say I would personally rather they said it. Knee jerk prejudices they can of course save for the Daily Mail letters to the editor page!

No, I didn't mean you, Arthur, or anyone else in particular either, I was simply referring to a general practice that occurs occasionally in some comments on stories that are usually responses to earlier comments.

However, was there any reason for you to assume that the commenter you responded to wasn't aware that the stepmother was a fictional character? AFAIC it's perfectly valid commentary to wish positive or negative 'aftereffects' on a story character following the conclusion of a story while still knowing that one is dealing with a fictional situation.

"I hope that Rhett eventually returns to Scarlett, they were meant for each other."

If I express this sentiment, does it mean that I've lost track of the fact that GONE WITH THE WIND (albeit occurring within a historical setting) is a work of fiction?

This is done quite frequently in comments on stories here in the Library, especially when there are requests for story sequels or continuations:

"That stepfather deserves a severe hiding from his own wife, I hope that she'll strap him good with his own tawse some day soon."

Perhaps you did such an effective job of portraying that stepmother in a villainous manner that the commenter couldn't help expressing hope for such an extreme negative consequence for her in spite of the fact that he/she knew that the woman didn't really exist.

In which case, you were actually being complimented RE your writing ability... --C.K.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#37 | Posted: 5 May 2011 20:19
Personally, I love getting comments - even negative ones. Negative comments can help a writer improve his craft.

Then there are the negative ones that I see as compliments. You see I have over a decade of work posted in the library and when someone reads one of the earlier ones and comments about how it's not up to my usual standards I read it as "You've really improved since you wrote this one back in 2003".

Other negative comments have helped me adapt to the needs of this medium. I'm used to posting on a forum where you can save or bookmark posts and come back to them later - so it's more convenient to post long stories in one part. The library's format, being more suited "read them in one sitting" stories, sometimes requires the story be broken into parts. I hadn't noticed that until I received some comments - and I listened to those comments and adapted when sending stories here. Which is why on that other forum my story "Christmas Across the County Line" is one long post and here it's a 16 part series.

So feel free to make any comment you like on my work - which are all works of fiction.

Goodgulf

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#38 | Posted: 6 May 2011 03:22
Except perhaps for the dimmest bulbs in our LSF chandelier, I don't think anyone actually thinks that stories here are true accounts (the name "Library of Spanking FICTION" might be a small clue). I think the issue is whether a reader/commenter gets worked up so much over a story that he or she is giving it significance as if it were real, and in a negative context.

Whether it's exactly how Februs meant it, I think that "Don't forget it's fiction" is an appropriate reminder to people just to chill out when they become bothered about a story involving a minor, non-consensual spankings, especially harsh punishments or whatever, whether or not the reader actually thinks a story is 'real.' Various post-ers here have described exactly the type of behaviour that warrants this 'chill out' reminder.

I'm familiar with the commenting of just about every post-er on this thread. None of you have exhibited that sort of behaviour (that I'm aware of). And at the risk of putting thoughts and words into other folks' minds and mouths, I don't believe anything anyone has said here was directed at any of the other post-ers. I'm guessing, instead, that despite small differences, the participants in this conversation are probably pretty close on what they do or do not find acceptable, and that they do or do not like in the way of commenting.

Like many others (i won't say 'all'), I welcome receive critical comments, whether they're concerning the subject matter OR my writing technique. Personal attacks, or repeated hammering, however, are in bad taste. I don't think anyone is proposing censorship by suggestions that such things are better avoided.

There ARE limits that people should accept - whether authors, comments, or other members. As much as we're all 'members,' invested in the success of this site, we really are guests in a sense of Februs and flopsy As our hosts, they have invited us to participate in THEIR vision. Anyone who wants it to be something else altogether quite frankly should leave. And if some guests, by their actions/comments are making the others uncomfortable, F&f are well within their rights (and duty as hosts!) to take appropriate action to rein them in, by establishing standards, gentle persuasion, stronger arm-twisting, giving the boot, or any other method they deem fit. That's the only way this site will flourish.

There are other reasons for setting limits. We may be oblivious to it in the cozy confies of the Library, but there are people would would be happy to shut sites like this down. Limits that ban certain types of content (i.e., stories) and behaviour are necessary to keep us out of the crosshairs. F&f do that very quietly. People may have different opinions about where those limits should be, but, if they don't like how it's done here, well, they're free to establish there own sites.

All that being said, I for one am quite happy that some people are exceedingly nasty in their posts, because it gives me the welcome excuse to track them down via their IP addresses in order to do them bodily harm. (just kidding! - don't forget this post is just fiction!).

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#39 | Posted: 6 May 2011 06:32
Of course all of these stories are fiction. Maybe, a little of the story might have been taken from a real situation. Now, that is possible. In order for the story to be interesting, things have to be added. What I really like in a story is when the characters are very strong emotionally. I can even identify with these characters and how they felt. That is real good writing. In The Library, this happens quite often. I will often comment on what these characters should do or not do, in order to survive the situation, ie., leave home, etc., etc. I am only making a comment about these fictionist characters. As far as the authors are concerned, they are only writing a story. I couldn't possibly make a personal comment about the author. How could I make such a comment? It's only a story, not an autobiographic version of there life.
How about a contest on reality of spanking without ever mentioning the authors name, even at the end of the contest (LOLOLOLO).

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#40 | Posted: 6 May 2011 09:19
I think that many of the stories here go beyond fiction and stray into the realms of fantasy and should be regarded as such. There's nothing wrong with that, many of us come here to write and discuss our own fantasies.

Page  Page 4 of 6: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »»

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 10
buffalotom, Ellman, klapol, stprag
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9