The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Idea for next contest... Letters!

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»
Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 12 Apr 2011 23:16
With all of the classic letters being loaded, I got to thinking that maybe that could be a theme for a contest - tell a story in letter form. It could be a letter to a friend, a parent, to the editor, whatever - as long as it was a letter.

Anyone agree? Disagree? Want to try it?

Goodgulf

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#2 | Posted: 13 Apr 2011 00:31
Interesting idea, GG. An exchange of letters might be even better, bringing in different letter-writers to provide various pov's. But to make it convincing, you'd probably have to set it in the past. After all, if Laclos were writing Les Liaisons Dangereuses today, he'd have to make it consist of emails, texts and tweets...

kleestep1959
Female Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 13 Apr 2011 00:39
I've always liked diary entries. Letters are very similar. I would definitely be up for writing a story through a letter. Bring it on boys!!!

Katie B

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 13 Apr 2011 00:46
An exchange of letters can be fun, but time consuming if two authors are involved. Perhaps too time consuming for it to be a contest.

One person writing both sides... It could be done, but anything more than one exchange stretches the concept. It becomes multiple stories intertwined as opposed to one story told in letter format. That, or too large a story - novels have been written that way.

On the other hand a single exchange - say writing a Dear Abby style letter and Abby answering it - can be fun.

Goodgulf

beth83
Female Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 13 Apr 2011 00:52
Maybe we could have letters to the Spanking Library Librarian. I also like the idea of letters to Dear Abby. Another fun one could be letters to Miss Manners on observing proper etiquette during a spanking. I think at most, as far as a contest is concerned, we should have the initial letter and a reply, if it's a letter to someone like Dear Abby or Miss Manners. If it's like the ones to the spanking magazines, then just the letter would suffice.

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#6 | Posted: 13 Apr 2011 04:02
I think this could be quite an interesting competition idea, to write a story in the form of a single letter or even an exchange of letters between the story characters. An excellent example of the latter, is TheEnglishMaster's 'A Victorian Adventure', which is written entirely of letters exchanged between the main protagonists. It is brilliantly written, and through the letters gives a very honest account of the characters' feelings and experiences.

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#7 | Posted: 14 Apr 2011 11:20
I like this idea. I remember a story in the Bared Affair story contest in this form. It didn't win, but if I'd had more than one vote as a judge it would have. Carla does a few in this format for her letters to and from Aristotle. I wish I had the time and idea to enter this.

jimisim
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 14 Apr 2011 12:34
As I've said before the chain stories on Alex's Flaming Cheeks were great fun.

We could have a letter writing chain, in which one writer starts it and then others take it on.
It may get like Chinese whispers which would be fun to see how far it strayed from the original.
The main difficulty would be deciding the order of replies, and how many respondents there were.
There would have to be a numerical logging in so each author wishing to take part would be allocated a turn.

Otherwise - probably easier to organise- one author could start it off and anyone who wanted to could rely and we could compare the responses. The time should be fairly short-say a week. After if it were deemed a success we could try with another author starting it off again until we got bored with the idea!

rollin
Male Member

USA
#9 | Posted: 14 Apr 2011 19:49
One thing to realize about a "letters" contest is that it forces you to write in 1st person POV. Some have expressed discomfort with the use this POV, so perhaps that should be taken into account.

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#10 | Posted: 14 Apr 2011 20:38
rollin:
One thing to realize about a "letters" contest is that it forces you to write in 1st person POV. Some have expressed discomfort with the use this POV, so perhaps that should be taken into account.

If you're a monarch you can use first person plural: "We are most amused...", or a fraction lower, "one is amused...". It would also be possible for other parties to join in the correspondence: "My client has informed me that..."; "My daughter has told me that...".

I like the idea with the twists added.

Page  Page 1 of 2: 1 2 »»

Online now: Members - 3 : Guests - 20
Alef, alfent, sidel
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9