The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Historical Fiction

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»
Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#11 | Posted: 30 Mar 2011 18:21
What matters more to me than accurate language, clothing, technology etc is the attitude. That past wasn't filled with modern people who had today's attitudes - those people had their own attitudes that were shaped by their times. Having the wrong attitude, seeing the past through today's eyes, is something that I can't forgive in a story.

Recently I re-read "Decline and Fall" by Waugh (the white slavery aspects were just as subtle as I remembered them) and while it is a classic book there's no way it could be published fresh today. No, I'm not talking about the references to one of the masters getting drunk and caning half the students at the school (that sentence is about as detailed as the book gets on that), but when someone shows up with a African-American Jazz musician who's in England touring clubs and visiting culture spots, there's a conversation about the nigga and whether blacks (including colonial ones living in Africa) can handle freedom. That's a conversation that reflects the time it was written in (and lampoons those who believe that they can't) but it's not something that reflects modern attitudes.

Too often historic stories have a character who expresses a modern attitude and everyone nods, agreeing with this truth. Well, people had to fight long and hard for equality - it wasn't just a case of someone having to point out X was wrong.

As an aside, I recently came across a movie that captured the attitudes of a time perfectly. The movie "The Runaways" took many liberties with the subject matter but it captured the "girls can't rock" and "let's show them jailbait" attitude of the 70s. Alas there wasn't a single spanking bit in it, but it had the attitude right.

shono98
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#12 | Posted: 30 Mar 2011 19:17
I am trying to write about the events in the Philippines during the 80s. A bloodless coup of a corrupt government, but the story is based in S. California. The places and some of the auxiliary characters are real. For those familiar with the ladies soccer team that beat china back in the mid-late 90's might recognize some names.

frants
Male Member

Norway
#13 | Posted: 24 Apr 2011 15:26
Goodgulf, you are so right. Some of the worst historcial films were made in Hollywood, some of the best in UK and France. But there is one exceptional exception from Hollywood: Amistad. Here the - damn, my text disappearing as I type here..

helena903
Female Member

France
#14 | Posted: 24 Apr 2011 15:38
I agree with Goodgulf about attitude; I'm sure it's hard to create sympathetic characters with attitudes that fit well with modern political and social ideas, and especially when spanking (and by extension, questions about who has the right to do it to whom, and why) is involved... but sometimes writers seem to go too far in trying to give their historical dominant men very modern attitudes, along the lines of 'I'm not spanking you for wearing trousers, but rather for endangering yourself in a society where not everyone understands our enlightened attitude', or similar. The main reason I read historical spanking stories is precisely because they offer a plausible context in which characters *can* be punished for things that would seem totally unreasonable in a modern setting.

However, while I can stand a bit of historical inaccuracy, I must say I can't get all the way through a story that sprinkles its dialogue with 'thee', 'thou' etc. used wrongly just for a 'period' tone.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#15 | Posted: 24 Apr 2011 16:03
helena903:
The main reason I read historical spanking stories

Since I'm doing a survey of the genre can I ask which ones you've read? And are they any good? I agree whole heartedly that the genre gives you greater leeway in working CP elements into the plot because of the cultural attitudes toward such things. They are harder to write, though. The language, the attitudes, the dress---everything has to stay consistent with the times.

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#16 | Posted: 24 Apr 2011 17:37
helena903:
I agree with Goodgulf about attitude; I'm sure it's hard to create sympathetic characters with attitudes that fit well with modern political and social ideas, and especially when spanking (and by extension, questions about who has the right to do it to whom, and why) is involved... but sometimes writers seem to go too far in trying to give their historical dominant men very modern attitudes, along the lines of 'I'm not spanking you for wearing trousers, but rather for endangering yourself in a society where not everyone understands our enlightened attitude', or similar

Yes, this is a danger, and not just with spanking literature. The only way of avoiding this is to immerse yourself in the period and read lots of stuff written by people alive then (or other forms of historical record if that isn't available). At the same time, our stereotypes of the past can lead to us condemning as inhistorical attitudes that actually WERE around then. To illustrate both points: a Puritan lady of the landowning or merchant class in Enland around 1640 might well be exceedingly well-educated, speak several languages, know about the latest scientific discoveries and have a penchant for racy Latin verse (one real such woman had translated Catullus into English) - but even those radicals of the time who argued for all free men to have the vote don't seem to have thought this might apply to women.

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#17 | Posted: 24 Apr 2011 17:45
twisted8
Twisted - those two Civil War stories - they ARE loaded on the Library: Fortune of War 1 and 2. Invented items: the main character; Walsh's (royalist) Dragoons; incorrect rumours of a royalist uprising in Lincolnshire at the outbreak of the second Civil War. Historical bits include: the royalist looting of Leicester and slaughter of civilians; Cromwell's defeat of Langdale turning the tide at Naseby; the failure by Fairfax to carry Colchester in a charge during the second Civil War; the purging of Presbyterians and Levellers from the New Model Army; that Fleetwood's cavalry (the regiment I place my main character in) fought under Cromwell at Naseby.

Simon (Barretthunter)

cfpub
Male Author

USA
#18 | Posted: 24 Apr 2011 21:02
While I can't vouch for historical accuracy, even I am not that old, the novels of R. L. Delderfield are often set in historical times and virtually always have a spanking or two. Delderfield was apparently a writer of recognized merit, several of his works were adopted for television by the BBC.

Actually I am certain that Delderfield would be a member of this library if only he had lived long enough. From paging thru his works looking for spankings, I emerged with the clear picture of the author sitting at his desk, regarding the manuscript pages of his current opus, and thinking happily "there's another 200 pages, I can put in another spanking now."

twisted8
Male Member

USA
#19 | Posted: 25 Apr 2011 00:15
barretthunter:
twisted8
Twisted - those two Civil War stories - they ARE loaded on the Library: Fortune of War 1 and 2.

BarretHunter. Thanks. I will make time to take a look.

frants
Male Member

Norway
#20 | Posted: 26 Apr 2011 09:55
American Civil War: Who will write (has written?) the story of a Southern guy who is about to be caught by a recruiting squad and die in the front line, and sees no other place to hide than in a nearby mansion. He is of Spanish origin and has black hair and skin that tans fast when in the sun, so he asks the owner of the mansion, a cruel, middle aged woman, to hide him among the slaves, as one of them. He is in luck (bad luck??), the Madam says yes.

Page  Page 2 of 3: «« 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 8 : Guests - 12
bbob20, BigBillie, cerby, Golterenn, Heroth, jogreenknickers, Odysseus600, oxford
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9