Reading your own writing

Page  Page 3 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»
njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#21 | Posted: 12 Mar 2012 04:46
Linda:
Having said that, there are some of my stories which I never re-read, because I'm embarrassed to have written them in the first place!

Specifics! We want specifics! (just to see whether you have unreasonable standards) Of course, perhaps that belongs on the "Worst Work" thread.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#22 | Posted: 12 Mar 2012 06:05
There have been times, when I'm reviewing a comment on one of my stories, I find myself asking "What story are they commenting on?" and I go back and read it. Sometimes I see the first few lines and the story comes back in a flash, sometimes I have to re-read the entire thing before it all sinks in.

Post enough stories over a long enough time and that happens.

Goodgulf

bendover
Male Author

USA
#23 | Posted: 12 Mar 2012 07:31
I go through my stories at least 5 times or more. Do I get turned on? Yes, I do sometimes. I sometimes do when I'm writing. i tend to make a 'mind's eye view' detail that I see as a movie when I write. I stop at times and think about it. I sometimes have a problem with the words NOT and NO. I'll write a sentence with NOW in it and end up with NOT for some reason. Does anyone else do that with words?

So, what I do is search for NOT and NO. I read the sentence real quick and make sure it's supposed to be that way. I know it sounds silly, but it works for me. I hate seeing errors in my works. I know others here do too.

B

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#24 | Posted: 12 Mar 2012 13:07
bendover:
Does anyone else do that with words?

I type "teh" for "the," "jsut" for "just" and "form" for "from" all the time - but that has a lot more to do with my typing skills than a problem with words. On the other hand, that I almost invariably type "Spankish" for "Spanish" speaks to somthing else.

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#25 | Posted: 12 Mar 2012 14:38
I do occasionally read my own stories, and my reaction depends a lot on the mood I am in. A few months ago I reread a story I thought was among my best, and suddenly I hated it — it looked like a good idea spoiled by bad writing. Some weeks later I read it again because somebody had mentioned something I wanted to check, and this time I really enjoyed it. I don't think my feelings for what others have written fluctuate in the same way, but our own stories are our babies, and we sometimes get quite emotional over them. And yes, I have occasionally been turned on by my own stories, or — more precisely — by the idea behind them. I find it a little embarrassing, but perhaps not so strange since this is part of what made me write them in the first place!

Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#26 | Posted: 12 Mar 2012 17:33
I enjoy reading my own stories. With some of the earlier ones, when I was first starting out, I now see ways they could be improved, or mistakes I made.
Couple examples. "Lesson for a Landlady"- failed to give any clue as to the gender of the spanker, I was envisioning male, but the library classed it F/F. With "Sticky Fingers, Sore Bottoms",I should have included more details of the actual paddling, more of the girls' reactions, etc. And my last Claudia story could have been longer and more fleshed out.
Sure other feel the same way about some of their other work.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#27 | Posted: 12 Mar 2012 18:22
I go back and re-read my stories to see if I could have done better. I always conclude that I could have and several have been edited from earlier versions. A great many more are in need of editing, to be sure.

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#28 | Posted: 14 Mar 2012 07:32
njrick
[pre]I type "teh" for "the," "jsut" for "just" and "form" for "from" all the time [/p
re] (I still haven't worked out how to do a direct quite...excuse my total blondness hehe)

njrick: that sounds like dyslexia... I suggest an appointment with Miss Thrashbottom would soon sort that for you hehe!

And in response to the Qs posted on this thread: Yes, I do read my stories like 100s of times (how else am I going to get the view count up )...jokies

Do I get turned on each time I read them?: Well no that would be just plain exhausting and a whole waste of sexual energy hehehe!! I must say I do appreciate why I wrote them (well most of them) in the first place, then I notice my annoying typos heheh and think what was I thinking when I spell checked that; but I do appreciate my characters (they are like ones's own relatives in a way) since they were created by me! But I may be in the minority when I say I don't get turned on by my own writing (probably cos I took so long to write them they get too familiar - if you know what I mean)... hopefully my stories have a sexy energy (or at least humourous or otherwise engaging) for others though.

islandcarol
Female Author

USA
#29 | Posted: 15 Mar 2012 15:10
Of course I do. If the act is humiliating, I feel the flush as i write it, embarrassing- that too. If I am describing intimate, naughty details...
The first spanking scene I ever wrote was for this site, just a few months ago. I had an advantage because I spent months reading and writing comments on the pieces of others. Had I not gotten comfortable with the language, the steamy images and the variety of styles, I might have never found my voice writing spanking lit.
I think, since writing expresses the human experience, writers must summon the experiences they live to write well about them.

Saradora
Female Author

USA
#30 | Posted: 15 Mar 2012 20:36
I read my own stories several times before I post them. I post to my own site long before I post elsewhere in case an ugly typo or other error raises its ugly head, I can go back and fix it. Like others, someone will send an email about one of my stories and I might go back and re-read it. Admittedly, I usually enjoy the story after the fact. What amazes me once in a while is refreshing my memory of characters in a serial that I had long forgotten. It's like a new story all over again. I don't think I've hated any stories I've written though I've often thought that I might consider rewriting a few scenes.
~Sar~

Page  Page 3 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 9
Derrick30, Erdling85, Ernest, Hoddle, markert
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9