The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Writing outside your genre

Page  Page 3 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»
Wheatwine
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#21 | Posted: 3 Aug 2017 17:31
I once wrote a fantasy novel about a man who is transported to another world, is captured and made a slave, has his tongue cut out by his master, and is trained to fight as a gladiator. It was never published, and shouldn't have been.

mobile_carrot
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#22 | Posted: 3 Aug 2017 23:11
One of my first ventures outside my genre was to write in first person female. It actually got published online years ago and someone refused point blank to believe it was written by a man and why was a woman using a male pen name? This was, to me, an excellent outcome and I've done this much more since. More difficult has been writing M/m spanking stories as this is a genre rarely seen outside of gay fiction, I've done a small number but I'm not convince they're all that good.

I've yet to bring myself to write a cowboy story although I'm given to understand they're popular with the female clientele.

RosieRad
Female Author

USA
#23 | Posted: 4 Aug 2017 02:15
mobile_carrot:
One of my first ventures outside my genre was to write in first person female. It actually got published online years ago and someone refused point blank to believe it was written by a man and why was a woman using a male pen name?

Impressive

mj2001
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#24 | Posted: 4 Aug 2017 03:39
opb:
I knew there was something missing in my oeuvre - a story about a pig!
Better get on the zeitgeist.

So do we suggest this to our hosts as the next Challenge: a spanking story that features a pig in some way?

stevenr
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#25 | Posted: 4 Aug 2017 03:47
mj2001:
So do we suggest this to our hosts as the next Challenge: a spanking story that features a pig in some way?

Not sure I can come up with something about spanking a pig that doesn't sound totally depraved.

Raptor
Male Author

Canada
#26 | Posted: 4 Aug 2017 04:19
Involving a pig, eh?

Has to be something subtle that doesn't hog the spotlight. Characters would have to be believable so as not to be a boar, or is that bore? Never mind, the bad guy will be a swine, no doubt, overweight and smarmy, a real porker, and the lovely miss who gets spanked will squeal like a piglet stuck under a fence. She will deserve her comeuppance though, because as we all know, a naughty miss always reaps what she sows. It will be hard but farrow.

Yes, it just might work.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#27 | Posted: 4 Aug 2017 06:22
Of course there are some men who women often referred to as 'pigs'. Then there are children whose habits sometimes reminds their parents of 'pigs' and whose bedroom may look like a pigsty.

However in any possible future Challenges one would not want to discriminate and use only pigs, we have to use an animal of our choice. We would not like the Animal Rights groups mad at us for ignoring other animals.

Then we also have animals that provide the materials for a great spanking paddle. The Beaver has a great tail (a story about that already), not to mention the leather we get from animals and I understand horsehair makes a great whip.

This is all too kinky for me by the way. No animals were hurt during this comment.

CS

Redskinluver
Male Author

USA
#28 | Posted: 4 Aug 2017 14:56
After a long hiatus from writing, I decided to write some M/M pieces, a change from my usual M/F and F/F. Also another F/M even though that may be the genre I have the least interest in, in terms of reading.
I think there is a difference between disliking something, and merely not finding it of interest, not pressing one's buttons.
I think I have mentioned before that I would not attempt to write something set in a time or place I don't feel adequately knowledgeable about, like the Victorian Age, or an English boarding school. Or with something I don't really like to read- stories with detailed, explicit sex, or parents spanking children of the opposite sex, or really young children. (Unless the author is Grace Brackenridge). There are some things I would not attempt, because I feel some other authors can do it much better than me.
In short, my view is write what you know, or feel you know, what you think you might enjoy reading if it were written by someone else. And don't be afraid to experiment. Its kind of like checking out unfamiliar food. Never know whether you like it if you haven't tried it!

Jacqueline2
Female Author

Scotland
#29 | Posted: 4 Aug 2017 18:29
As a late contributor to this thread I am interested to read all these thoughts (and a bit relieved to find that they mirror much of my own!) My main genre is F/f ... (and regretfully for those who 'hate them') many involve schoolgirls being punished with a variety of implements, including the cane). I can't imagine me ever trying M/m but I have tried a number of M/f or F/m. My problem, particularly with the latter is wondering if I'm getting the male characters responses correct. I do take comfort with much of what has been said though and I will keep plugging away with these even although I find F/f so much easier! Thank you all for this advice!

stevenr
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#30 | Posted: 4 Aug 2017 20:38
Jacqueline2:
I do take comfort with much of what has been said though and I will keep plugging away with these even although I find F/f so much easier! Thank you all for this advice!

In my own relatively inexperienced opinion, you write what you feel comfortable with, and as the spirit moves you, reach outside that box. I know in my own limited experience, I've written what I know, and that's school discipline in Texas. All the characters in my stories, published or not center around school, and have either teachers and principals, or parents who were once teachers disciplining teen students or children.

I have some ideas for M/F stories and one theme in mind for a F/M story, or at least part of one. We'll see fi I can actually make it work, and see if it's something someone besides me enjoys.

Page  Page 3 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 10 : Guests - 12
Alef, Alunn, averam300, blistermeplease, cerby, Nelon, northeasterner, spankied, Unfortunate, WilliamAllen
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9