LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Writing outside your genre

Page  Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4 »»
BrigittaCoral
Female Author

USA
#1 | Posted: 1 Aug 2017 03:57
I think most spankos have things they prefer and things they dislike. They might not like sex in stories, they might not like minors being spanked. They might adore school stories or seek out F/M stories.

As a writer, I tend to have a niche. Most of the stories I write are consensual, adult only and usually feature a female spankee. I avoid spanking stories between people who are related. This works out fine 'cause there are plenty of other people writing stories with that focus.

So my question to other writers is this: Do you ever write stories that are totally outside your comfort zone? That have pairings or settings that you normally dislike? If so, what inspires you do write them?

rnr
Male Author

Wales
#2 | Posted: 1 Aug 2017 08:19
This is a question I also wrestle with.
I find I can only write fluently, if I stay within the broad scenario range that I enjoy reading myself.
I seek to keep just within the envelope of plausibility. To achieve this I try to integrate the spankings within a developed storyline which ideally would be worth reading even if the spanking was excluded.
The spankings themselves arise from discipline and care and are accepted although not welcomed by the spankees. The stories are totally asexual.
Spankees are often in their late teens but find themselves through one device or another being treated as though they were several years younger and maybe in a social environment where spanking is more normal than in their previous experience.
Spankees are male or female as are spankers, although females predominate.
This 'genre' appears quite a limited niche, both for authors and also in terms of what I perceive readers to be attracted to.
I am most proud of my e-novels which provide more scope for this approach, but take more time and effort to write than I readily have, but it sometimes frustrates me that by limiting myself I restrict my readership.

Raptor
Male Author

Canada
#3 | Posted: 1 Aug 2017 11:53
I wrote a story about a Border Collie and a pig once. Nobody got spanked but the pig was made into bacon at the end. Guess that was slightly out of my usual efforts. Even though the pig was a villain I quite liked him even before he was the main attraction in a BLT.

flopsybunny
Female Head Librarian

England
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 1 Aug 2017 13:46
Raptor:
the pig was a villain

LOL. I too wrote a story about a villainous pig, called ... wait for it ... Pig.

But putting pigs aside (or in sandwiches), and back to Brigitta's question, we've found that some people who write mainly M/F often contribute to our annual F/M story Challenge, which is great, even if F/M isn't their preferred genre.

If you can write, I think you should be able to turn your hand to most things regardless of subject, orientation etc. Isn't it all part of the challenge of being a writer ...? Besides, being versatile broadens your horizons and gives you scope for new ideas.

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 1 Aug 2017 21:06
I realize that given this is a UK-based site, I am going to offend a LOT of people here with this confession, but: I hate British schoolgirl/caning stories............like you wouldn't believe. I don't read them and I never imagined writing one in my wildest dreams. So, what did I once do? I wrote a British Schoolgirl/caning story, (Becket Revisited)...........all the while keeping my 'author's knife' ready for a nice, grisly twist at the end.

It was actually extremely therapeutic! And I had fun writing it. (Though I don't think I would have been able to write the more traditional schoolgirl scenes had I not been able to end it as I did.)

Oh, and I too wrote a pig story: "Three Piggies".....about 2 kinky pigs sharing personal information with a wise elder. Gotta love them piggies!

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#6 | Posted: 1 Aug 2017 22:02
I have written outside my preferred genre several times. I have around 5 M/F stories and I think 1 or 2 F/F stories in the mix. I also have tried a gay couple that still went F/M but difficult to write because I don't tend that way at all. I wrote about a dog once.

I believe writing outside one's preferred genre is good as it makes one think of how others see a story.

CS

BrigittaCoral
Female Author

USA
#7 | Posted: 1 Aug 2017 22:10
Now ya'll have me thinking about pigs...

In my professional life, I joke that I write whatever anyone pays me to write. And while I joke, it's mostly true. I have an ongoing gig where I write about cardboard boxes. (Yes, really.)

But fiction somehow seems more personal. Different, somehow. In non-fiction, I write to learn and research fills in what I don't know. Fiction comes more from my head, though I've frequently done research for it too.

I did once write a father-daughter spanking story (though the daughter was in her 30s), but even reading it feels weird to me 'cause, um, I'm not sure why. I think it is competently written, but I don't think it has the passion or real understanding and empathy that I might otherwise have.

Glagla
Male Author

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 2 Aug 2017 01:05
kdpierre:
I hate British schoolgirl/caning stories.

Oh - my - gawd! How do you manage to survive on this page?! It must be like trying to plow through an endless pile of mud, trying to sort out the few gems not tainted by uniformed girls getting their bottoms reddened.

yankee
Male Member

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#9 | Posted: 2 Aug 2017 01:54
To kdpierre. Agree with you about caned school girls. Overdone. Not my favorite instrument. Caning is too brutal for a teenage girl The results are too hard for me to witness. But that is just me. Everyone has their own likes. Live and let live. Regards. Donald.

RosieRad
Female Author

USA
#10 | Posted: 2 Aug 2017 03:15
I write and enjoy a pretty wide variety of genres, situations, and orientations. The one type of story I don't typically enjoy (or write) are stories where one partner in a sexual relationship is disciplining the other (for genuine discipline, not for fun) -- mostly that kind of dynamic just doesn't work for me (offends the "women's libber" in me, even if it's the man getting spanked). That said, I've been known to actually enjoy a few such stories, especially if they happen to include a good firm dose of a leather implement And I've actually written a few as well (Colin and Mikayla, Whip Me for Being Unfaithful, and there's even one embedded in Training Amarra). But my forays into that dynamic are all kind of "special cases".

The other type of story that has a major squick factor for me is adults spanking children/teens and getting a sexual thrill out of it (or even just admiring their nakedness). I'm pretty sure I haven't ever gone there, nor am I likely to (unless it was like an 18yo "adult" with a teen partner close to their age).

As for schoolgirl canings, although I do like a good schoolgirl story, I was not at all interested in caning stories (or pictures, or videos) until I found my way here. Now I find that they are growing on me (which is maybe not so surprising given that I do like my spanking fiction harsh), and I'm actually writing one of my own at the moment (not especially harsh, for me anyhow). (I've no idea why, but the key scene in this story wrote itself in my mind with a cane, so we'll see how that turns out. )

Primarily, though, I write what I want to read, and I tend to enjoy my own stories when I go back to them (often when someone comments, and I want to refresh my memory).

Page  Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 10 : Guests - 3
hardcharlie9600, hydegreen, jogreenknickers, KinkyKangaroo46, makkunny, mobblers, Mormor, MsPicker, rickf, yenwen89
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9