library of spanking fiction forum
LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Authors, what annoys you about depictions of your own gender by opposite-sex authors?

Page  Page 4 of 7: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »»
Burgundy
Female Member

Canada
#31 | Posted: 31 Mar 2017 18:00
RosieRad:
Generally I prefer a kind spanker, and I *usually* write them that way. They can be flawed/human, and in fact that makes a story more interesting, but not outright cruel/mean/sadistic. But then again, I love your stories, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about

Ha, thanks, and ditto There was a part I left out, which is that I like male spankers who are flawed, feral and mean, and who also worship and want the spankee so much he's gonna die if he can't have her. If he was only mean, and otherwise indifferent to her, that would suck and be totally unsexy.

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#32 | Posted: 3 Apr 2017 18:58
Well, this probably applies to both female and male authors, but I'm often irritated when the spanked masculine protagonist in an F/M story is shown as being flawed or personally unappealing--small, short, physically weak or at least nonathletic, nerdish, naive, socially awkward in general, even rather wimpy in the sense of being easily intimidated.

It's almost as though "There has to be an underlying weakness" for an adult or teenage male to consent to and cooperate with being corporally corrected by a feminine disciplinarian, beyond him believing that he deserves it and/or his actually feeling gratified by it, at least subconsciously if not consciously.

I'll admit to stereotyping a touch in the opposite direction concerning both feminine spankers and masculine spankees, I tend to present them as fairly attractive physically, athletic or at least reasonably fit, intelligent, well-educated, somewhat self-confident and socially successful overall. They do usuallty have specific issues, 'blind spots,' which contribute to the spanking(s) occurring, even though they're generally positive, good-hearted characters--that's on either one or both sides of the punitive implement(s) being employed. (For example, my spanked male characters often are clueless and/or quite shy concerning females, hence they make mistakes which result in their rears being reddened by them.)

Of course, sometimes that foolish misjudgment and/or immature behavior is motivated by the male's desire, down deep in his psyche, to take an extended albeit strenuous excursion across a strict feminine lap...

--C.K.

kdpierre
Male Author

USA
#33 | Posted: 3 Apr 2017 19:36
CrimsonKidCK
Very well put, CK!

Burgundy
Female Member

Canada
#34 | Posted: 4 Apr 2017 05:03
CrimsonKidCK:
I'm often irritated when the spanked masculine protagonist in an F/M story is shown as being flawed or personally unappealing--small, short, physically weak or at least nonathletic, nerdish, naive, socially awkward in general, even rather wimpy in the sense of being easily intimidated.

I agree with the sentiment here, although I disagree that the traits your mentioned are objectively unappealing. (For example nerdy and socially awkward aren't necessarily unappealing, IMO.)

I take your point about the spankee being presented as unappealing, though. Personally, I can't enjoy a spanking scene if the spankee is a douchebag, though there must be a niche for douchebag spanking stories out there, since they exist. That goes for both male and female douchebag spankees. I want to like the spankee.

CrimsonKidCK:
It's almost as though "There has to be an underlying weakness" for an adult or teenage male to consent to and cooperate with being corporally corrected by a feminine disciplinarian

About this excellent point, I think this is just a specific example of general social attitudes towards pretty much anything men like. You think it's any easier being a guy who wants to spank girls, rather than be spanked by them?
Guy wants to get spanked by girl: he must be a pussy. There must be something deeply wrong with him.
Guy wants to spank girl: he must be a rapist abuser. There must be something deeply wrong with him.
Guys can't win.

stevenr
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#35 | Posted: 4 Apr 2017 06:00
Burgundy:
Guy wants to get spanked by girl: he must be a pussy. There must be something deeply wrong with him.
Guy wants to spank girl: he must be a rapist abuser. There must be something deeply wrong with him.
Guys can't win.

What I really want to see, whether it is a man or woman doing the spanking, is for it to be done out of love and a wish to correct bad behavior. The kind of story that really turns me off is where there is no real reason for the spanking/paddling/whatever, that it seems the punisher is really just out to beat the tar out of someone's butt, unless there is sexuality involved, then all bets are off. Call me an old softie, but I really like it when the punisher regrets the necessity, but did it in the best interests of the person with the red ass.

Yes, I have heard the phrase beat the tar out of you, or beat the stuffin' out of you.

Glagla
Male Author

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#36 | Posted: 7 Apr 2017 11:13
When I think of my previous post in this thread it came to me that I wasn't actually listing anything that annoys me. I racked my brain and came to the conclusion that not much bothers me when it comes to stereotyping. I like the male characters going "Oh, beer, titties and it's a soccer game on TV, awesome!" and the women go "Oh! such shiny shoes - must - have!", it gives the stories a comical touch and simplifies the storytelling. When it's humorous it doesn't have to be so believable, but the story is usually great fun at the same time as you get to read about a spanking.

Burgundy
Female Member

Canada
#37 | Posted: 7 Apr 2017 14:12
Glagla:
When it's humorous it doesn't have to be so believable

Aha! This is the root of the problem: I have no sense of humour.
(A bit off topic, one of my favourite Christopher Hitchens quotes: "Why are men funnier than women? Because men have to be funny to be attractive. Women don't have to; we already find you attractive, thanks.")

But really, I must object. You say that like humour and believability are mutually exclusive. Plus, I don't want to simplify the writing; one of my greatest pleasures while writing is trying to fit a credible spanking into a situation where standard real-life rules apply in every other way. So I won't be writing any 'shiny-shoes' women anytime soon, thanks.
You get way more reads than me, though, and you're generating a lot of traffic on the site, which is good for all of us. Different strokes (heh) for different folks...

opb
Male Author

England
#38 | Posted: 7 Apr 2017 14:31
Burgundy:
there must be a niche for douchebag spanking stories out there, since they exist.

I agree with what CK says about needing to find the spankee appealing, and not wimpy/nerdy etc. either of the male or female persuasion, because the air-headed female spankee who just can't help herself from overspending/speeding/reading spanking stories on the internet when she's supposed to be working is just as irritating (Ooops, better get back to work myself).
There is, though a place for Glagla's idiot-spankees, and in these stories you are not looking for anything other than a good dose of Smack-Owww, but it's a silly, light story with no pretence to explain our condition, and needs to be thought of as such.

Back to Burgundy's quote... The genre of douchebag spankee is often that of the comeuppance story. The reader wants the baddie to have a sore bum. The way the narrative arc usually works is that the protagonist is opposed by this character, the severity of which fluctuates as the story progresses, but building to the climax. At that point if the smarmy Lord of the Manor gets horsewhipped by the noble gamekeeper or the oppressive boss's business goes belly up then everyone is happy that good has triumphed over evil (as long as aforementioned boss gets his arse smacked into the bargain of course).

Glagla
Male Author

Sweden
SUBSCRIBER

#39 | Posted: 7 Apr 2017 15:34
Burgundy:
You say that like humour and believability are mutually exclusive.

No, I don't. I'm just saying that it's easier to get away with a less credible plot if you kick in some humour. A deadly serious story is of course splendid and I wish I could write such, but that is much more difficult to construct. My level of competence is down on the humorous level I'm afraid so I'll just keep spamming the site with that...

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#40 | Posted: 7 Apr 2017 20:24
Burgundy:
CrimsonKidCK:
I'm often irritated when the spanked masculine protagonist in an F/M story is shown as being flawed or personally unappealing--small, short, physically weak or at least nonathletic, nerdish, naive, socially awkward in general, even rather wimpy in the sense of being easily intimidated.

I agree with the sentiment here, although I disagree that the traits your mentioned are objectively unappealing. (For example nerdy and socially awkward aren't necessarily unappealing, IMO.)

I take your point about the spankee being presented as unappealing, though. Personally, I can't enjoy a spanking scene if the spankee is a douchebag, though there must be a niche for douchebag spanking stories out there, since they exist. That goes for both male and female douchebag spankees. I want to like the spankee.

Well, "personally unappealing" isn't the same as "objectively unappealing"--I don't find anything particularly unappealing about a male who's small and/or short, and indeed the guy really doesn't control that (although he could become fitter and better-toned physically via regular exercise), yet many females would reject a 5'3" tall male as a romantic/sexual partner on that basis, while some bullying males might pick on him based simply on his size.

The same would go for a guy who is nerdish and/or socially awkward in general, even though I'd agree that those aren't necessarily unappealing characteristics in any rational sense.

It's probably quite a lot easier to describe the spanker as a mean-spirited sadist or the spankee as a morally reprehensible person truly deserving of a severe butt-whipping, but I usually tend to feel uncomfortable employing those rather stereotypical characters.

(However, sometimes the feminine disciplinarians whom I'm attempting to portray as 'strict-yet-caring' types strike a few readers as being somewhat sadistic anyway, thus I don't always describe them successfully in terms of reflecting my intentions; perhaps that's because the corporal correction they administer is considered a touch excessive, although to me it has to be very thorough to effectively modify the behavior of a strong, healthy teenage or adult male.)

So I suppose my point would be, addressing any *toppish* or *switchish* ladies out there--that fairly good-looking, muscularly-toned, obviously intelligent man might yet be a viable candidate for a pants-down excursion across your lap, fictionally or otherwise...

--C.K.

Page  Page 4 of 7: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »»

Online now: Members - 6 : Guests - 8
badlad, BashfulBob, laura82, mobblers, myrkassi, pwb1812
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9