LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Amazing feat

AlanBarr
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#1 | Posted: 25 May 2012 19:40
You can learn all sorts of interesting things from Februs's statistics. Today, one library member got through FIVE of my stories in a single minute. That's the most amazing feat of speed-reading I've ever come across!

SNM
Male Author

USA
#2 | Posted: 25 May 2012 19:57
Or, he opened five of them and read the first couple sentences of each. Sampling, if you will. With any luck, he'll be back to finish the job.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#3 | Posted: 25 May 2012 21:04
Haven't you heard of "speed reading?'

I would say they will be back because if they did not like the story they would not have opened all 5 of them.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#4 | Posted: 25 May 2012 21:41
We all know that these readers are downloading, saving to a hard drive for later. I see it all the time. Someone "reads" a 14 part novel in the space of two minutes. I once saw a guy go through my entire author page in the space of about an hour. I have never seen him since. Makes you wonder.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#5 | Posted: 25 May 2012 22:16
This kind of thing is a total PITA and has in the past contributed to the site being shut down due to overloading the SQL server of our shared host. When someone clicks on a story it's not simply a matter of a bit of text appearing on the screen, there are a whole load of database operations carried out including updates to indicate the number of reads for that item has increased, the member's database records that the item has been viewed, the last read list gets an entry, various stats tables get updated, if it's a serial there are searches carried out to see if there are next and previous parts, the activity list is updated to show what is being read and so on and so forth. if it was just one individual doing this it wouldn't be an issue but there are often more than 40 people on the site all doing things which involve database transactions so mindless flicking over a prolonged period of time is really bad news. Following the last time we got shut down I built in safety mechanisms to protect the site from overload so those who persist to mindless flick several items a minute for a certain length of time will find themselves locked out until an admin takes the time to free up their account again. We will similarly lock out anyone we suspect of mass copying, as apart from being asked not to do it and in many cases us not having the permission of the author it too places an unacceptable load on the server.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#6 | Posted: 25 May 2012 22:43
I didn't know that could be done. That's not cool at all. It simply punishes those who behave. I read pretty fast, but not that fast. The snippets and the very short stories are one thing, but once they get over a thousand, it should at least take a good and fast reader a bit of time to get through with it.

B

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 17
laura82, mianders, mobblers, Seymourauto
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9