LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Serials

Page  Page 2 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»
Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#11 | Posted: 22 Apr 2012 09:11
It's perplexing, to say the least. If I open a book - I mean the old-fashioned printed-on-paper kind - I wouldn't think of starting at chapter 7, then moving to 4 then 6 etc. However, in my own stats I noticed that one reader had read an entire 7-parter of mine, in the order 3, 5, 1, 7, 4, 2, 6!

njrick:
For some readers, it's only about the spanking.

This is true, but even if I was that way inclined, I would still read the spanking chapters in order.

Serials, by their very nature, need to have plot and character development, so perhaps readers who only want descriptions of spankings would be better to avoid serials, and go for shorter pieces?

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#12 | Posted: 22 Apr 2012 09:59
As far as I can recall, the first episode of one of my series always gets the biggest number of visits, but I have indeed noticed that some people arre reading Part 4, say, befor the year Part 3, and may not read 3 at all. I'm sure this is sometimes because they spot something in the validation that appeals to them in 4, or does not appeal in 3, but it may be also the fashionistas who always go for the latest stuff just happen not to be looking when 3 goes live and then catch 4. Either way it's a bit disappointing as 4 will rarely make a lot of sense without 3 and although they may fancy the spanking action in 4, they'll be missing aspects of the characters' nature and situation, which to me are part of the spanking being sexy.

However, a writer as prominent as Lord Byron, in "Don Juan", advised reading a book from start to finish, but offered as an alternative reading it from finish to start. Since, though, this advice begins "O Reader (if that thou canst read)..." it is possible he was not entirely serious.

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#13 | Posted: 22 Apr 2012 10:01
What on earth happened to that post? I am entirely sober. I meant "are reading Part 4, say, before they read Part 3".

mati
Female Member

Germany
SUBSCRIBER

#14 | Posted: 22 Apr 2012 10:37
I often select stories because somebody made a positive comment, the synopsis sounds interesting or the story is a result of a search. If it is a serial I open the part, which is at hand and if I like it I go back to the beginning.

The longest serials I already read. Sometimes I remember a specific detail in a story or see similarities to other stories or forgot about the previous content when I continue to read a serial after a long pause and therefore go back to reread some parts. For somebody who doesn't know this, it may look as if I'm arbitrarily jumping through the stories.

And finally I always read the end first! Otherwise I can't concentrate on the story and the details as I can't bear too much tension. If I know how the story ends it is much more relaxing to read and enjoy it. Btw. a few weeks ago I read a scientific study about the effect of spoilers. They found out that more readers who had seen a spoiler of the story before reading it valued the story higher, enjoyed it more and remembered more details than readers who didn't know the spoiler.

I would like to recommend Daniel Pennac's novel: "Comme un roman" to all authors. (In English it's: "Reads like a novel"). Therein he states ten inalienable rights of the reader:

1. The right to not read,
2. The right to skip pages,
3. The right to not finish a book,
4. The right to reread,
5. The right to read anything,
6. The right to mistake a book for real life,
7. The right to read anywhere,
8. The right to sample and steal ("grappiller")
9. The right to read out-loud, and,
10. The right to be silent.

Illustrated here: http://www.walker.co.uk/UserFiles/file/Rights%20of%20the%20reader/NYOR_ROTR.pdf

Iconoclast13
Male Author

USA
#15 | Posted: 22 Apr 2012 14:20
rollin:
Riddle me this, Batman. Why do some readers start reading a serial in the middle, or worse, read the end first.

I blame television for this. Many television shows are episodic. It doesn't matter if you miss the first three shows of a season. You can tune in to episode #4 and you'll have no trouble understanding what is going on. You can also watch the episodes in any order without spoiling surprises for yourself - because there are no real surprises! No matter what happens in the episode, the status quo remains the same.

Readers who approach a serial the same way (or watch a TV program with a developing plot-line) really cheat themselves by jumping in randomly like that. But what are you going to do? There will always be people who do this, just like there will always be people who turn to the end of a book they're reading to see how it ends.

islandcarol
Female Author

USA
#16 | Posted: 22 Apr 2012 16:23
I've written only two serials so I can't spot trends based on experience, but not all readers proceed from start to finish. Those with comprehension issues- whether they lack background knowledge or an author writes hot spankings but vague incomprehensible sentences, a reader trying to cope will do all the things that irritate you as a serial writer. If he skips to the end, or skips chapters, he may be looking for clues he missed previously in the text. So, don't dismiss it as bizarre behavior specifically designed to make you crazy. Being writers, you are good readers and do not have comprehension issues-consider yourselves blessed. And if they just read the spanking portions, well, so be it. Given this is a spanking site, you take extra care with your spanking descriptions- the bottom descriptions alone are to die for; they are brilliant- all of them.
As we say in my family to lighten the mood- I'm just saying; I Ain't SAYING!
IC

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#17 | Posted: 22 Apr 2012 18:52
I had made a mistake a few times and linked on to a story line in the middle of the series. We can't undo this notation. It's recorded as a part that was read.

tiptopper
Male Author

USA
#18 | Posted: 22 Apr 2012 22:00
I have not written any serials but if I were to do so I would avoid that dreaded empty circle that turns some people off by continuing to write the set up until somebody gets spanked before ending that part. In other words, every part would have at least one spanking in it.

SNM
Male Author

USA
#19 | Posted: 23 Apr 2012 03:43
Iconoclast13:
I blame television for this.

I blame rap music and violent video games.

smeple
Male Author

USA
#20 | Posted: 23 Apr 2012 03:54

I like the above illustration very much; however, in the first part, "the right to not read," it seems the non-reader is being put over the lap of 3 readers. So, are we to interpret this to mean that "sure, you have the right to not read, but if you don't, we are going to spank you?"

If so, I am putting my Kindle down right now!

Page  Page 2 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 13
Goodgulf, katee, stevenr, sugarpie, Unfortunate
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9