Pondering A Capitalisation Question

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2
Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#11 | Posted: 17 Apr 2012 01:56
The reason I asked:
Usually when I look at poor grammar I say "That doesn't look quite right" and change something.

In this case - I've looked at that line typed with small d director and with capital D Director and both times said "That doesn't look quite right".

And thank you all for your opinions.

Goodgulf

tiptopper
Male Author

USA
#12 | Posted: 17 Apr 2012 05:57
Another example of the varied use of capitals. Some people in the library capitalize their names, such as Goodgulf, which is more common, but others, such as barretthunter, do not.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#13 | Posted: 17 Apr 2012 07:57
tiptopper:
Another example of the varied use of capitals. Some people in the library capitalize their names, such as Goodgulf, which is more common, but others, such as barretthunter, do not.

Well, I don't know if this applies in the library, but in spanko language Dom - Submissive, the cap in a name meant Dom and the lower case in the name meant Submissive. Most of your chat rooms on the web (if you can find a decent one these days) practice that. Like I said in the beginning, I don't know if the folks here practice that old adage, but that's the way it used to be. My own name is lower case because I came here as a switch, and submissive was my favorite role to play.

B

tiptopper
Male Author

USA
#14 | Posted: 17 Apr 2012 13:41
bendover:
Well, I don't know if this applies in the library, but in spanko language Dom - Submissive, the cap in a name meant Dom and the lower case in the name meant Submissive. Most of your chat rooms on the web (if you can find a decent one these days) practice that. Like I said in the beginning, I don't know if the folks here practice that old adage, but that's the way it used to be. My own name is lower case because I came here as a switch, and submissive was my favorite role to play.

In my case when I joined the library I wrote my name with a capital T but somehow it was put in with a small t but it was such a minor difference I never asked that it be changed. If that old practice is still used it really should be a capital T.

Tcheser
Male Author

USA
#15 | Posted: 17 Apr 2012 14:01
I believe if you are not using the character' s actual name and instead addressing them by their title then it must be capitalized.

opb
Male Author

England
#16 | Posted: 17 Apr 2012 14:45
I'm always lower case, not because I'm submissive - don't know if I am particularly, and I'm too jolly cantankerous to use lower case even if I were addressing someone whose puffed up ideas of their own domminess meant that they thought I should.

Quite simply, even though my name is an acronym, opb looks better on the page than OPB - or so I think.

And I do think that over-capitalisation is becoming a problem nowadays, by far the worst being the use of a capital in the middle of a newly coined word. It just doesn't look right.

Page  Page 2 of 2: «« 1 2

Online now: Members - 9 : Guests - 11
bartoiii, ckpollman, Fokus014, markie62, nthespankee, saxes626, Slis345, stag, steve77
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9