LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Writers Styles

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»
canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#1 | Posted: 10 Apr 2012 04:44
Just curious about the question, does a writer have to change their style to continue to attract viewers or can one keep the same style? Do viewers not get tried of the same style and soon say to themselves, "the story is always the same, rather boring after a while."

There have been lots of comments on writing "a story with a spanking" vs "a spanking with a surrounding story". To me these are two different things entirely and if an writer switches from one to another they are changing styles, are they not?

Many of us write, does anyone else worry that if they continue writing without changing their style, that in a few years things will just fizzle out? Can we be content with just coming out with a slightly different story all the time and keep our same style or does one have to change? My upbringing says one either changes or whatever they do will eventually die out. What do others think?

CS

SNM
Male Author

USA
#2 | Posted: 10 Apr 2012 05:30
I think people's writing style change naturally over time, and it doesn't require conscious effort.

bendover
Male Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 10 Apr 2012 05:56
I'm not changing my style to suit anyone. I write the way I write and that's that. Style doesn't have to change at all by the way. What needs to be done in stories is have a different plot building up to the actual punishment of anyone. This has been talked about before by a few people. You can have someone breaking curfew, smoking, school problems, argumentative, etc etc... However, it's the character(s) that make the difference right along with the plot. A different scenario if you will. It all boils down to the same thing, the person ends up spanked by someone or spanking someone.

How many times have we read about Miss Taylor? How about The Spanking Shop? How about Mrs. Wilmont of the Principal with Principles? Jen and Kara? TheEnglishMaster has a great list, too. Each and every story has a different reason for giving a spanking. BUT... it's all the same thing. It's just the way they are so well written. (I say that because of comments I've given and received by the way).

Flopsy is another writer who comes up with some fascinating stories that leave us sitting with our heads spinning and laughing our tails off. Yet, someone gets spanked or spanks. Once again, it's the way the story is written. What else is there to say about spanking fiction except that it's just that....

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#4 | Posted: 10 Apr 2012 08:36
I don't consciously change my style, but I have the feeling that depending on what I'm writing about the style does alter. The only exceptions to this are the Debbie articles and the Bared Affair style ones which are deliberately written in a journalistic style as if they were news reports, rather than fictional stories. It also can depend on point of view. A story written in first person may be different from one written in third, even if they are written by the same person.

opb
Male Author

England
#5 | Posted: 10 Apr 2012 09:24
I think it takes some degree of skill to write in another style than the one which comes easiest. Some professional authors use a different pen name for stories with a different style.

I don't consciously consider writing style when I'm writing a piece, rather I try to make the way the story is told suit the voice of the narrator ( if there is one ) or the time and place of the setting. In a first person piece this comes about by using the inner ear to hear the protagonist telling the story.

Of course this process is reversed when recording a story for the audio section. Who is the speaker? Where are they from? How old? Male or female? Which social class? If the author has done their job well these will be clear and one will be able to hear the voice well enough to try to reproduce it.

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#6 | Posted: 10 Apr 2012 11:16
I personally don't consciously change my style of writing form story to story. However, it is always my characters which drive the plot and feel of the story (characters are always mutinous little things, aren't they?....) Seriously, it is the main (and even sometimes minor) characters which determine the voice and feel of the story, which then drives the overall style of writing (if that makes sense). So basically what I am trying to say is that each story is unique in its, characters, style and plot... even though someone is always spanking or being spanked in each. So I see style change as something that often happens subconsciously on the part of the author and of course writing experience polishes and expands every writers style in time. When I compare my first work: 'Not in Her Wildest Dreams' to a later story, such as 'Mooning in Butt Hole Road', they have entirely different story-lines and types of characters and subsequently a very different style of writing yet readers who are very familiar with how I write would probably pick that I penned them both.

islandcarol
Female Author

USA
#7 | Posted: 10 Apr 2012 12:06
I think changing writing styles is an interesting issue. Educators have finally figured out how to teach writing, and help kids grow as writers and this community is a perfect example. Now-in a writing class or here on the site getting ready to comment, when reviewing a piece of writing, the reviewer can considers organization of the piece. Is there a beginning middle and end, paragraphs arranged in logical order... the next are ideas what's the author's message, is it clear, is the message interesting- worth reading? The next is the most important for us and our readers, sentence fluency.Do sentences vary in length, do they all begin the same- that's an issue for students, all the sentences begin with "I" or "the" and sentences are the heart of the piece. If they flow and are not awkward- they are pleasing to the reader. Reading the piece is not a chore- and you know what I mean by that. The next is voice, does the writer sound like herself. Huckleberry Finn does not sound like Jane Eyre. Each has different goals, a different set of experiences and priorities, lives in a different society and time. The kids in the tree house and the corporation executive do not use the same examples, eat the same food, get spanked for the same offenses- well maybe they do share a few bad habits. The last two are word choice and conventions words add texture and interest and over used words are tiresome. Looking for a better way to describe the spankee's tush is worth exploring. Using lovely metaphors, outrageous comparisons- now I'm getting carried away. So, yes, a writer will change one or more traits depending on subject, purpose, audience... I hope you aren't asleep. I wasn't taught to write this way. Writing was all about grammar and punctuation and where I grew up that was a big deal, because we was's and the double negatives flowed like water from the fire hydrant on a hot summer day. Sorry, another lapse of language. Now writing is more collaborative; the storyboard and role playing over at the bottom line are great ways to experiment with your style.

flopsybunny
Female Head Librarian

England
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 10 Apr 2012 12:08
canadianspankee:
There have been lots of comments on writing "a story with a spanking" vs "a spanking with a surrounding story". To me these are two different things entirely and if an writer switches from one to another they are changing styles, are they not?

Not really. I think what you are referring to is trying to write a different type of story as opposed to changing your actual style of writing. There are many components of style, including point of view, syntax, tone, tense, choice of narrator etc
If someone known for writing in the first person using lots of humour and hyperbole, switched to writing third-person narrative tragedies, then that surely would be a change of style .
Words and imagination are wonderful things, and armed with a healthy dollop of both I think it is possible to sustain interest and keep coming up with different perspectives

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#9 | Posted: 10 Apr 2012 13:09
To me, what I rather vaguely refer to as "the voice" of a piece is the most important part even when I am writing a scientific paper. Until I find the right "voice", my writing crumbles into small pieces that do not connect. Finding the voice is more than just deciding on a style or identifying the whims of the narrator; it is about establishing a contract with the readers — to let them know by subtle means what to expect and how to interpret. Occasionally, the writer builds these expectation just to break them — for purposes of humor or shock, perhaps — but in most cases the voice can be relied on and is what gives the story substance and coherence.

The voice modifies the style. I have written stories where the style is brief and terse to make the events and emotions stand out more clearly, and other stories where the style is ornate and complicated in order to emphasis descriptions or thought processes. Yet the style is recognizably mine; there are whims and habits (in my case dashes and semicolons) that I just can't get rid of! Unless I am writing a parody, I never consciously change style; I search for a voice, and the voice implies the style.

What then is this "voice"? I don't really know, but it is primarily about communication; about what you want to communicate and how you want to do it — about getting your readers to see the story the way you want them to (which may just mean to make them uncertain the way you want them to be!).

Miss_Naughty
Female Author

England
#10 | Posted: 10 Apr 2012 15:17
To me the style is innate. Personally I tend to write from my heart, how I feel and where my imagination takes me. What does change over a period of time, which I have noticed in myself, is largely down to experience. i.e. the more that you write the more comfortable that you feel and your style in terms of presentation and the way of conveying your story changes naturally.

If I were to alter the way I wrote then that would not be me any more.

There are many authors that you may naturally prefer reading because of their style of writing suits you in the way they express themselves. It may also be what they're writing about is of more interest to yourself. There are several permutations of a spanking story which I don't particularly like BUT I can appreciate and enjoy the writing surrounding them. Ergo, it proves that writing is subjective and I'm not blinkered.

Obviously I am an inexperienced author and many people I assume will find my writing far to basic, so be it, we all have to start somewhere!

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 8 : Guests - 6
brettchad, CharlotteM, ElyFant, falstaff101, meirth, silentmobius, stevenr, WilliamAllen
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9