The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Finished voting on the Letter Challenge

Page  Page 7 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»
Alef
Male Author

Norway
#61 | Posted: 19 Mar 2012 23:09
Februs:
I notice from the sudden drop in the total votes cast on the current challenge that one or more persons must have chosen to remove all the votes they had cast, presumably following all the endless debating about how people should vote and personally i think that''s a real shame. I also think the continued 'naval gazing' in regards to the minutiae of the voting process is removing a lot of the enjoyment from the challenges and one has to wonder if they are becoming simply more bother than they are worth.

I don't think anybody has intended to drive voters away, but I must admit that if don't find time to read the stories that still remain, I shall delete my votes on the stories I have read and voted on. Although I am not terrible concerned about the fairness of the competition, I would still feel uneasy if I didn't give everybody the same chance. Others may see it differently and that is fine with me.

To some extent authors and readers have conflicting interests in this case — most authors will probably want the competition to be as fair as possible, while we readers may find reading more than fifty stories something of a chore. Still I think both groups will agree that the challenges should continue — they add spice to the site and give us something to chat (and quarrel?) about.

Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#62 | Posted: 19 Mar 2012 23:11
bendover:
My votes were cast on the authors writing a story at all, the quality of the writing, how it made me feel.

Hear hear! Or should that be Here Here?

Whatever!

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#63 | Posted: 19 Mar 2012 23:36
rollin:
So 114 voters voted on 10 stories or less. If they read them all, that at least reflects a judgment that the other stories should get zero. But somehow I don't think that's what happened. Those numbers are large enough to make a difference, so if you were chosen by the 114 to get a vote, I guess you have to consider yourself lucky.

Well, some of us are big-time procrastinators and are still in the process of reading, voting and commenting... --C.K.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#64 | Posted: 19 Mar 2012 23:47
wow, what a brohaha--(rubs hands together gleefully). That's it, that's it, come--embrace the dark side.

Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#65 | Posted: 19 Mar 2012 23:51
rollin:
wow, what a brohaha

Shouldn't that be 'brouhaha'? Sorry - forgot you Americans are allergic to the letter 'u'!

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#66 | Posted: 20 Mar 2012 00:26
Linda:
Hear hear! Or should that be Here Here?

Whatever!

Hm ... it's past 10 pm and methinks a certain northerner has been at more than the Scottish blend tea.

'Whatever'? Linda, I'm shocked and dismayed.

And yes, it should be 'Here here'.

Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#67 | Posted: 20 Mar 2012 00:30
TheEnglishMaster:
a certain northerner has been at more than the Scottish blend tea.

Well, it was Scottish Blend something!

Maybe not tea.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#68 | Posted: 20 Mar 2012 01:11
Yes Februs I entirely agree. I likely went over board with my comments, my apologies to all who think I am negative on this. I actually like the Challenges and never expected to win, don't care if I win or not and appreciate any effort by all to even just read the entries, never mind voting at all.

To all and any who think of withdrawing their votes, please do not do it, let things be as they should be.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#69 | Posted: 20 Mar 2012 02:19
Although I do find it disheartening (not to mention a bit random in terms of voting results) that as of the date of Februs' stats, more people voted on fewer than 5 stories than voted on over 10. It is quite possible that a significant people did read most but voted on only their favorites (after a fair evaluation) to give those favorites the best chance of wining. That would be a perfectly fine judging strategy, in my opinion. More likely, many of those voters were voting only on their own (or their friends' stories), or made only a quick stab at the contest.

But who really cares? I almost always get more readers and more feedback (in the form of comments) on my cont4est stories. And I find it fun to READ how different authors approach the same challenge. I must say that, in the past, the top vote-getters were almost always among my favorite stories, so that the voting process (however flawed for all the reasons people cite), it produces a reasonable result. There's not way you can tweak the process that will make it totally 'fair.'

So everyone, quitcherbitchin and just enjoy the challenge!

On another note:

Alef:
they add spice to the site and give us something to chat (and quarrel?) about

What are friends for if not to quarrel with?

bendover
Male Author

USA
#70 | Posted: 20 Mar 2012 04:30
I haven't changed one vote since I finished. Like I said earlier, I'm happy authors took the time to write for the challenge. It's fun, and it's a great idea. What I mean is, every vote I cast that author deserved it. I mean that in a good way.

Page  Page 7 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»

Online now: Members - 4 : Guests - 19
insonia, katee, Regina, whitmont2000
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9