Finished voting on the Letter Challenge

Page  Page 4 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»
njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#31 | Posted: 18 Mar 2012 17:19
Linda:
And this from a nation which uses 'drug' as the past tense of 'drag', and 'snuck' as the past of 'sneak'!

Your point being...?

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#32 | Posted: 18 Mar 2012 18:05
This voting solution is actually very simple. I recently clicked on a site for something and could not close the screen until I had indicated whether I would consider doing what the ad suggested. The response was simple enough, it asked for no information besides a yes or no, but I had to response or close my browser and start again. The ad (a non-profit) said if was for statistical purposes. It was annoying and bugged me but I did click on an answer, (and I answered in a negative so they would not bug me if they thought they could get me to do something). IF we want to be demanding about it, we ask to have it set so any viewer must vote on the story before they can close it on their screen.

This would mean a lot of viewers would make meaningless votes and a few might just close their browsers but most would comply, as we know, "resistance is futile." For me, this is a draconian suggestion that I would NOT like to see, however every viewer would vote.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#33 | Posted: 18 Mar 2012 18:14
canadianspankee:
For me, this is a draconian suggestion that I would NOT like to see, however every viewer would vote.

You WILL vote, and you will LIKE it!

Nah... I don't think so.

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#34 | Posted: 18 Mar 2012 18:35
canadianspankee:
This voting solution is actually very simple

Am I the only person on here who is wondering who has decided that we have a problem that needs a solution?

Nothing is perfect but the comps are for fun... Those who may cheat will have an empty victory anyway, if they get one at all.

No Oscars here but they are great fun contests to enter... Que Sera Sera and all that

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#35 | Posted: 18 Mar 2012 18:58
PinkAngel:
Am I the only person on here who is wondering who has decided that we have a problem that needs a solution?

Once you come up with a perfectly good solution, you can by golly FIND a problem.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#36 | Posted: 18 Mar 2012 19:39
A good solution would be to make sure all the winners and runners up were well attended to by Ms Thrashbottom That way everyone could vote freely for their favourites but have to think if they don't vote for everyone they may miss out on getting one of their friends or maybe not friends spanked.

TheEnglishMaster
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#37 | Posted: 18 Mar 2012 21:27
smeple:
Don't leave your chads hanging

And by the looks of it, this Challenge promises to be as controversial as Florida 2000!! If a new author by the name of Dubya happens to win this one, and then thanks his brother Jed in the post-victory Forum thread, we'll KNOW THE SORDID TRUTH ...

Linda:
And this from a nation which uses 'drug' as the past tense of 'drag', and 'snuck' as the past of 'sneak'!

Psst, Linda! Glad you sneaked that in and dragged out the old spelling war thing - it's such fun seeing our Cousins get their knickers in a twist over their U envy.

As for the voting system, having proudly TWICE been placed in challenges now (to njrick's zilch - hee hee), it strikes me as the epitome of complete and unadulterated fairness. I would only suggest to the Esteemed Organisers that more could be done to build in a bias towards those of us in the Old Country - don't forget, our Cousins outnumber us as members by 3 to 1. After all, wasn't it we who invented spanking in the first place?

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#38 | Posted: 18 Mar 2012 21:53
Canadianspankee's solution would not prevent people simply not reading some of the stories, yet voting on others. Indeed, it might lead to more stories not being opened at all. What we have at present is not perfect, but I haven't seen any suggestion that would be better.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#39 | Posted: 18 Mar 2012 23:38
[
TheEnglishMaster:
smeple:
Don't leave your chads hanging

And by the looks of it, this Challenge promises to be as controversial as Florida 2000!! If a new author by the name of Dubya happens to win this one, and then thanks his brother Jed in the post-victory Forum thread

Let's please keep my dangling chads out of this!

(This Guy actually once had lunch with Theresa LePore, the nice lady who designed that "butterfly" ballot that put W in office. She is/was a Democrat. The Democrats weren't in a forgiving mood after that debacle, so she lost her job.)

jimisim
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#40 | Posted: 19 Mar 2012 00:12
I can't believe that anybody takes these contests seriously! Surely they are only a bit if fun. If I ever thought otherwise I'd never enter.
On a serious note the biggest weakness is that everybody has their own tastes, for instance, in this genre it is probable that a story's content is more likely to garner votes rather than any intrinsic merit.
My own experience bears this out, my winner on this site was a blatantly populist and suitably titled piece of fantasy with negligible literary merit, although obviously enjoyable and popular.
I am far prouder of the Soc Sexuality Spanking annual contest I won. (I only entered at the exhortation of Alex Birch and never expected even to be a serious contender.)

Page  Page 4 of 8: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »»

Online now: Members - 9 : Guests - 6
AlanYoung, Fokus014, Jrussik, myrkassi, oxford, rabbitrun, RomanGenat, rufus, SpankySteve
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9