LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Kindle for reading stories?

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»
spankdaddy
Male Author

USA
#1 | Posted: 11 Dec 2011 17:16
I have been thinking of buying the old style Kindle for a Christmas present to myself. They have come down to $79.00 here. I am wondering if the spanking stories can be somehow put into Ebook format and read on the Kindle? Is there a way to download the stories into the Kindle?

rollin
Male Member

USA
#2 | Posted: 11 Dec 2011 17:34
KIndles can view .txt files. I put my stories from my hard drive into a folder on my Kindle. But downloading stories from this site to make txt files is, I think, officially a no-no. However, that said, I also think people do it all the time.

spankdaddy
Male Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 11 Dec 2011 18:03
Thanks for that info. If it officially a NO NO then I will pass on downloading stories. If I had the money I would buy the Kindle Fire that can access this site on WiFi and then I will be able to read the stories when I'm away without taking my laptop with me.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#4 | Posted: 11 Dec 2011 19:09
Well, I'm not at all sure that downloading is as they say, frowned upon in this establishment, so maybe you should check. I'd caution against a Fire--it's browser cannot access stories here because it does not generate the scroll bar that normally appears in the story window. It is not a robust browser.

Tavaril62
Female Member

USA
#5 | Posted: 12 Dec 2011 00:26
So that's why I can't get the site to work on my iPad. I've tried three different browsers, but none of them offer a scroll bar in the pop-up window. The best I'm able to do is copy the story and paste it into another app for reading, but that leaves me unable to comment until I'm back at my computer.

I expect you could do the same with the Kindle Fire, which would at least allow you to read stories and jot down notes for later. I do not think an older Kindle would allow you to access the library. I just tried on my mother's Kindle DX, and while it was able to find this site during a web search, it could not access the library. All I got was a blank page.

Check ebay after Christmas and you might get a better price on a Kindle Fire or iPad.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#6 | Posted: 12 Dec 2011 02:01
The library site is highly structured and makes use of a number of features that require the use of what is generally termed a 'standards-compliant web browser'. Without getting too technical what this means is that there are a group of standards defined about how the various programming languages should be interpreted by the web browser. Certain browsers are very good at doing this, such as Firefox, Chrome, Opera and the full version of Safari whilst others are not so good, e.g. the Internet Explorer (IE) family of browsers. The reason the site looks OK to most people who use IE is because I have had to write a substantial amount of additional program code to compensate for IE's shortcomings.

As for the iPad i don't own one myself as I have no use for one but I am reliably told that the version of Safari it runs is not the full version but similar to that which runs on an iPhone. Consequently parts of the library site don't work with it. I've no idea why Apple in it's infinite wisdom doesn't offer a decent web browser on the iPad but then I guess the iPad isn't really a replacement for a PC, Mac or laptop, well certainly not to me anyway.

As to the downloading issue, we have commented on this before and it was as follows. We ask people not to download from the site as several of our contributing authors provide us with their material to load on the basis that we do what we can to prevent downloading, copying etc. Of course some people won't respect that but there is only so much we can do about it. We have already had a couple of authors withdraw their submissions when they discovered people were downloading their stories and personally I don't blame them.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#7 | Posted: 12 Dec 2011 13:32
canadianspankee:
us backward types who refuse to change.

No need to change, but you can adapt a little. There is no law that says you must pick one, and only one, browser and use it for everything. Like that Canadian guy, I use IE for general browsing because (Februs hates this, but it's true) IE is the default standard.. However I regularly use Chrome and Firefox on sites where they seem to have advantages. For personal privacy, I have a slightly disguised installation of Firefox permanently set up in stealth mode that is only used for the library.

Installing extra browsers is only slightly more complicated than going to the appropriate site and pushing the "install" button.

Februs
Male Tech Support

England
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 12 Dec 2011 16:30
Guy:
Februs hates this, but it's true) IE is the default standard

That's not true, it's Microsoft's default standard which they, in my opinion, should never have been allowed to bundle into their operating system but did so in the most cynical way imaginable in order to prevent any competition. It's something of a minor miracle that the other browsers such as Firefox and Chrome have now managed to achieve substantial market share. It also helps that Europe has managed to engineer a more reasonable approach in that those installing Windows are offered a choice of browser. Personally, I'd recommend steering clear of both Windows and IE but that's merely my opinion and of course we are all free to choose for ourselves.

spankdaddy
Male Author

USA
#9 | Posted: 12 Dec 2011 18:14
I am running Ubuntu 11 and FireFox on my computer that accesses the Internet. I have skipped the Kindle idea. I won't download stories if it's frowned upon.

tiptopper
Male Author

USA
#10 | Posted: 13 Dec 2011 07:02
I have both IE and Firefox but I use IE most of the time. Firefox is better in some ways but it apparently uses up too much memory and slows down every other program to a crawl. Even if I get out of it it still apparently runs in the background and the only way get back to normal speed is to reboot. I have an older Pentium 4 computer running XP so perhaps newer computers don't have this problem.

As far as downloading I don't understand why anyone would object to that. As long as there have been libraries you could check out any copyrighted books and take them home and copy them if you wanted to. Why should it be any different on the internet?

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 7 : Guests - 12
dan2bend, Glenlivet, mcfly108, mrswitcheroo, ntytina, paperbark, txwolf208
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9