LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Story formatting software

Page  Page 4 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4
Linda
Female Author

Scotland
#31 | Posted: 29 Nov 2011 15:40
I was determined to keep out of this thread, but I can't.

spankdaddy, there is nothing wrong with either your grammar or your basic sentence construction. The only issue is the punctuation of speech. If you want to send me a pop-up with your email address, I can send you a simple sheet on punctuating dialogue, and it really is simple; it was written for 12 year olds.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#32 | Posted: 29 Nov 2011 21:43
spankdaddy:
Has anyone used a software program called Naturally Speaking?

If it is free for a couple of days and it works for you go ahead and try it, you have nothing to lose.

No one here has said for you not to write, what they do say is that you have to follow the rules just like the rest of us do. You are not an exception and there is no reason for you to be treated like one. Like I have said on this thread before, this is all about you and the choices you make. If you want to write then follow the rules. if you chose not to follow the rules then you will not be published, it is all up to you.

I looked back at some of the history on the Forum concerning this issue and I think you should just be glad the Library admin did not just boot you off the site entirely. You have a few suggestions on programs you can use, so get to work and see what works. It may not be easy for you but then no one ever promised our generation an "easy life" did they? I am just about as old as you are and I submitted my first "quotation mark" story several months ago, but I had to learn things and so you do.

spankdaddy
Male Author

USA
#33 | Posted: 30 Nov 2011 02:14
I am going to try the Naturally Speaking software and see what it does. Canadianspankee I am not asking for special treatment. I just started this thread to ask about software so I could submit a story that would pass the MOD's requirements. I never asked for the requirements to be changed. I never asked that my stories be allowed to be published if they didn't meet the requirements. I want to follow the rules but I don't understand what the quote stuff means. It was explained to me, I looked it up on Google, I went to the library and took out a book on English writing style, that was no help. Linda is right I don't understand why or how to use those quote marks. The part that really gets to me is I don't understand why they matter at all. Maybe I could try to write a story where no one makes statements I guess that would mean I won't have to use any quotes.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#34 | Posted: 30 Nov 2011 05:16
spankdaddy:
Maybe I could try to write a story where no one makes statements I guess that would mean I won't have to use any quotes.

If you look at my author page for the serials I wrote in Jan 2011 that is exactly how I started, and then I slowly tried different things.

Without statements it does mean no "quotation marks", so go ahead and do it. Also as Linda suggested send her a popup with an email address and when your ready, take the sheet she will send and use it as best you can. Keep trying different things and gradually things become easier. Linda states you have no problem with sentences etc, so write that story and lets get going. Cheers.

tiptopper
Male Author

USA
#35 | Posted: 30 Nov 2011 05:28
Spankdaddy,

I don't know why you are making such a big deal out of something that is so simple. Here is an easy way to handle quotations.

Skip a line. Put what the person is saying in quotation marks. Put a comma after the last thing they said and then identify who is talking. Skip another line and then continue either with the narration or with another quotation.. Here is an example.

"I don't want to get spanked," Jane said.

Got it? Skip Line - Quotation Marks - Comma - Identify - Skip line. Do it that way and it will be perfectly readable. There are other variations of that basic scheme but they are not necessary. Here is an example of two quotations in a row.

"I don't want to get spanked," Jane said.

"Well you're going to get spanked whether you want to or not," her father replied.

He picked up the hairbrush. (Continue on with the rest of the story)

Spankdaddy if you don't get that then we are all wasting our time.

spankdaddy
Male Author

USA
#36 | Posted: 30 Nov 2011 19:26
I'm working on a story now. We will see what happens. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

islandcarol
Female Author

USA
#37 | Posted: 1 Dec 2011 17:10
Spankdaddy,

I know what you need; it is a tutorial on English Grammar. It's not like a foreign language program, i.e, Rosetta Stone. It is a program with sequenced lessons on sentence structure, paragraphs and grammar. When and how to use adverbs and adjectives, avoiding double negatives, subject/verb agreement. It should include all the bits you missed in High school English. Look for a program that includes a workbook; there will be lessons, then exercises where you practice the skill.
I would start with Barnes and Noble books. I've seen them on their shelves and a college prof once told me she was unexpectedly assigned to a remedial writing class and she used a book like that to plan her lessons.
Before you begin the program consider outlining a story you want to write and as you work through the program, use each lesson to edit and revise you story.

spankdaddy
Male Author

USA
#38 | Posted: 1 Dec 2011 19:05
Islandcarol, thanks for the info. I don't even know what adverbs, adjectives and double negatives or subject/verb agreements are. I just write what sounds good to me. I have learned to put a period (.) at the end of a complete thought (sentence) I think I know where to put comma's most of the time. It just looks right so I put them. I don't really know why but I understand that they separate two or more thoughts. I submitted a story already. It doesn't have any quotes in it. I wrote it without people speaking so I could avoid screwing up the quotes and such. I'm not sure if it will pass the judges the way it is written. Time will tell.

Page  Page 4 of 4: «« 1 2 3 4

Online now: Members - 10 : Guests - 6
critter45, DomDavid, Hannilein, hydegreen, kanestrokes, katiehopkins, PatMurphy, rufus, Seegee, twinkieshark
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9