LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Comments

Page  Page 3 of 9: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »»
KJM
Male Author

Brazil
#21 | Posted: 16 Nov 2011 05:12
Yes, Russia invaded Poland and split it with Germany. Later Stalin ordered to kill 20.000 Polish officers including my uncle in Katyn.

Russian front was very important for the allies, so Churchill and Roosevelt possibly opened Champagne when Hitler decided to invade Russia against the advice of some of his generals. And yes, they fought bravely, they lost an enormous amount of men and women, but they wouldn't succeed without massive material support from England and America. Don't forget Churchill words in that regard when questioned about giving help to Stalin: "If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons."

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#22 | Posted: 16 Nov 2011 05:25
It would have been nice if we got rid of both Hitler and Stalin, at the same time. The United States should have been more prepared. After WW I the United States became very isolated. " Let the Europeans settle their own problems". The problems won't cross the Atlantic. How stupid could they be. Churchill knew the whole situation. He was brilliant.

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#23 | Posted: 16 Nov 2011 10:04
It's unusual about evacuations and their affect on the public at home. One of the key dates in the Australian and New Zealand calendars is April 25 Anzac Day. It commemorates the retreat by the Anzacs from the Gallipoli battlefield in Turkey during WW I. The attack was a complete mess by the allied command and resulted in huge losses on both sides, the retreat however has been hailed as a masterpiece of military planning. There's an excellent film; Gallipoli, starring a young Mel Gibson, made about the battle.

Lincoln
Male Author

England
#24 | Posted: 16 Nov 2011 10:35
Gallipoli was a misconceived operation, the brainchild sadly of Winston Churchill. The General in command was Gen. Hamilton. A typical case of "Capax imperii nisi imperasset". (Worthy of command, had he not actually commanded). He was regarded as the most intelligent General in the British Army, but made a complete mess of things. His successor, General Munro, was sharply criticised by Churchill, but as Seegee says, withdrew the troops in good order.

Incidentally, Churchill having been forced to resign as 1st Lord of the Admiralty, immediately volunteered to serve on the Western Front, (i.e. France), was given the command of a battalion and served there with distinction.

DannySwottem5
Male Member

England
#25 | Posted: 16 Nov 2011 13:20
In my earlier posting re the Battle of Britain it was very remiss of me not to mention the tremendous contribution non-UK pilots made in this operation.

There were some 600 pilots of other nationalities who swelled the ranks of the 2400 British pilots and the most notable was some 145 from Poland whose help was invaluable as they had already had operational experience against the Luftwaffe. There were also significant contributions from New Zealand (135 ), Canada ( 112 ), Czechoslovakia ( 88 ), Australia ( 32 ), as well as smaller numbers from many other countries including 7 from the United States of America.

The Polish pilots were very successful and one pilot, Witold Urbanowicz, claimed 15 "kills" but there were many other pilots from other countries who achieved great success as well. All of these men shared one aim, to fight tyranny however best they could and their contribution, and sometimes sacrifice, in the Battle of Britain must be recognized and saluted.

I hope this post has helped to put my previous omission right and credit has been given where it is due. All of these men, this airborne "Band of Brothers" formed part of the "Few", and their place in the annals of military history is assured.

Hotspur
Male Author

South_Africa
#26 | Posted: 16 Nov 2011 13:57
@DannySwottem5

Your South African correspondent can't resist mentioning this country's contribution.

One of the RAF's leading aces, and one of the highest scoring pilots during the Battle of Britain was Sailor Malan DFC, an RAF pilot since 1936, who led No. 74 Squadron RAF during the height of the Battle of Britain. Under his leadership No. 74 became one of the RAF's best units. In all there were 25 South African pilots involved in the Battle of Britain. The most senior officer of South African origin during the Battle was Air Vice-Marshal Sir Christopher J. Quintin-Brand KBE, DSO, MC, DFC, Air Officer Commanding No. 10 Group RAF covering the South-West; a long service RAF officer, he had joined the RFC in 1916.

The South Africa Air Force (SAAF) also supplied 20 aircrews for the Berlin Airlift, with the crews flying to Britain in Dakotas via east Africa, Egypt and Malta, a journey that took five days. They then joined the Royal Air Force in flying sorties into Berlin. The SAAF crews flew 2 500 sorties and carried a total of 8 333 tons of humanitarian aid while flying RAF Dakotas.

DannySwottem5
Male Member

England
#27 | Posted: 16 Nov 2011 15:31
Thank you Hotspur, there were so many "Aces" I could have mentioned but you are right to give credit to Sailor Malan as he was indeed an ace amongst aces. Innovative, adaptable and most importantly, cool under fire he was not an opponent one would wish to meet in a dogfight.

The South African Air Force has a long and distinguished history and has operated in many theatres of war as well as domestic conflicts and have certainly "done their bit" when called upon to do so.

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#28 | Posted: 17 Nov 2011 05:18
I play a massive WWII war game that is one of the more actuate ones - and invading England in force is only barely doable.

To have any hope of success the German player has to start building ships from the start (most capital ships taking 2 years to finish), focus on Naval Air (with long range fighters to protect those planes), and achieve total air superiority any area where he wants to land troops. And as this "West First" gamble is happening, the Soviet slowly builds up - maybe getting to the point where they can go adventuring in the middle east (Persia, Iraq) or in the north (Baltic and Finland) - or conserving their strenght for an invasion west.

Historically, the British left their equipment on the beaches of France - but that equipment could be replaced easier that the men who were saved. After river boats were used to pluck British troops from the French beaches Hilter moved river barges from Germany to France in anticipation of being able to use them - where most of them eventually rotted.

Looking at WWII (or any war) brings amazement at how close things came to turning out differently. Every battle has countless "if only"s as do all the fronts.

And yes, about 90% of the dying happened on the Eastern Front.

On a more personal note - there were relatives that I will never meet because of wars. All I can do is be thankful that they were there to do what needed to be done.

Goodgulf.

Seegee
Male Author

Australia
SUBSCRIBER

#29 | Posted: 17 Nov 2011 06:12
I believe the great all rounder Keith Miller was a pilot in the Battle of Britain. He was once asked about the pressure felt by the players in the 1970's and his response was a growled "Pressure? Pressure is a Messcherschmitt up your arse!"

DannySwottem5
Male Member

England
#30 | Posted: 17 Nov 2011 07:03
Keith Miller was indeed a great all-rounder Seegee and a colourful character to boot. He did distinguish himself later in WW2 flying various aircraft including Mosquito fighter-bombers, one of my favourite aircraft of all time.

He was something of a maverick and his remark regarding pressure would be very much in keeping with his philosophy regarding the game he played so well.

Page  Page 3 of 9: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »»

Online now: Members - 3 : Guests - 23
Heroth, timthetum, whoseturn
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9