LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Postive or Negative Comments?

Page  Page 2 of 9: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »»
canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#11 | Posted: 3 Oct 2011 13:56
This is great! Just to clarify my point especially about neg comments - it is the situation in the story that would cause the negativity in the comments. Situations where the readers emotions are invoked on the one side of the problem that they comment badly of the other side of the story, saying it went too far or should not have been so extreme. I do not believe writers do that intentionally but at times we do, (and by the way the on-going discussion is not about one of my stories).

I particularly agree with "kov" on point #2 and Pink Angel and others saying re-writes should not happen under most circumstances. I would like to see others views, especially if the POV is from the side of the author should avoid such situations or the author should re-write the story. Not because I agree with those points but the discussion around why it should be done is interesting.

DannySwottem5
Male Member

England
#12 | Posted: 3 Oct 2011 16:14
One does have to be very careful when posting comments as it is sometimes easy to get the balance wrong. I can offer nothing on the technical side as I know very little about writing stories but I do like to make comments on how a particular story grabs me. I always try to remember the effort that must go into writing these stories and the fact that the writers are willing to make the stories available for others, such as myself, to enjoy. My guess is that most writers do write for themselves but they surely must feel very happy when others recognise the merits of a story and comment upon it and say how much they enjoyed it. PinkAngel quite rightly pointed out how soul destroying it can be to try to please people all the time but if a story hits the mark with just one reader and makes them want to post a comment then all the effort has not been totally in vain.

Guy
Male Author

USA
#13 | Posted: 3 Oct 2011 16:49
blimp:
Recently you, CS, strongly criticised my villainous schoolmistress, Miss Taylor, saying she was cruel and really shouldn't be teaching young people! You were confusing reality with fiction!

That's not necessarily true. I am perfectly capable of liking or disliking characters whilst mainlining a firm understanding that they are fictional.

Further, it's entirely possible that excessive cruelty will alter my enjoyment of a story. In that case I understand that it's a matter of taste, and will vary with the reader. On the other hand, a bit of cruelty is a perfectly legitimate way to add tension to a spanking story. As always with fiction,it's a matter of degree and taste.

kov
Male Member

USA
#14 | Posted: 3 Oct 2011 17:18
The situations where I think rewrites can make sense are situations where readers' reactions indicate that characters or events are not coming across the way the author intended - especially if such situations interfere with readers' enjoyment. When that happens, the author has a choice: leave the story alone even though it's coming across as a different story from what was intended, or rewrite it so it comes across the way the author intended it to in the first place. If the author thinks the unintendedly strong negative reaction is good for the story in spite of some readers' complaints, it makes sense to leave the story the way it is. But if the author doesn't see enough benefit to the negative reaction to offset the harm to readers' enjoyment, and is willing to take the time, rewriting the part of the story that causes the negative reaction makes sense.

With serials, authors have to consider the additional question of how readers' reactions to the current chapter will influence the way they look at future chapters. If a character is not coming across the way he or she is supposed to, the disconnect between how readers look at the character and the way the author envisions the character can significantly reduce the chances of readers understanding and reacting to later parts of the serial the way the author intends. So if the disconnect is relatively serious, rewriting the part that is causing the problem can be useful to have the rest of the story work the way it is supposed to. On the other hand, rewriting a chapter of a serial is more disruptive than rewriting a standalone story, and is therefore something that is probably best not done unless a problem is relatively serious. Or the writer may want to wait until the entire serial has been out a while so there won't be a disruption for readers who read it as it comes out, but people who read it later will see a corrected version.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#15 | Posted: 3 Oct 2011 17:57
If I comment "negatively", most likely it's intended to be constructive criticism and it will be about technique. i don't negatively comment on content. If I don't like a genre, I just skip that story. My comments have mostly to do with how the writer gets his ideas across. Readers here know that my main issue is frequently the plausibility of the situation. Are the characters believable? What about the plot? Are there big holes there? What I'm trying to do is help the author to write it better the next time.
I don't get too many negative comments myself, but when I do I look at the story and say either yeah, that was a problem or no, that's just what I wanted. But ALL comments are helpful.

Lincoln
Male Author

England
#16 | Posted: 3 Oct 2011 18:04
Like so many things in the library, the important thing is not to take things too seriously. I too have been criticised - on moral grounds - for certain aspects of my stories despite the fact that a) my stories are totally fictitious b) the views of the characters do not represent my views c) I strongly disapprove of any form of physical punishment. Having said that, whilst I welcome criticism, I write what I want to say.

We write and read stories for our own enjoyment and hopefully to provide enjoyment for others.

If not - what the hell are we all doing here?

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#17 | Posted: 3 Oct 2011 18:23
canadianspankee
canadianspankee:
I don't know if I agree with this, sometimes I write and hope to get a reaction, good, bad or indifferent is all the same sometimes, but I do want a reaction.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The original poster talked about "a strong negative reaction" and that's the sort of reaction I was referring to. I stand by my assertion that I don't think anyone here would do that.

kov
kov:
The situations where I think rewrites can make sense are situations where readers' reactions indicate that characters or events are not coming across the way the author intended - especially if such situations interfere with readers' enjoyment.

I agree with the first half of this sentence - if the story the author wanted to tell isn't being told then a rewrite is in order. As for the second half... The thing is, if the author reads it and enjoys the story then at least one reader enjoyed it - so how can anyone say that "the readers" don't enjoy it? When writing you write first for yourself and then for the readers - and if the readers have a problem then maybe you're posting to the wrong site.

When it comes to stories, it's all a matter of personal taste and countless people have mentioned "I started to read blah but found it wasn't my thing so stopped". Should stories be rewritten for those readers?

The problem with "this story demands a rewrite" is that it caters to a mob mentality - and where do you draw the line? For example, I'm not a huge fan of M/M stories - should I be replying to all of them, telling the author to change Frank to Francine so that I can enjoy the story more?

Then you have the hot button issues - politics and religion come to mind. The thing is, no one would write a story that includes one of those topics just for a negative reaction - they would write it to show their own point of view. Maybe you won't agree with their point of view but that doesn't mean the author is trying to piss you off.

For example, one of my stories deals with emotion abuse verse paddling in a catholic school - painting a picture where those who weren't paddled were "lectured" and those who were lectured often envied the paddled. I'm sure it offended some people - but I didn't write it to offend, just to show that there are worse things then paddling. I selected a catholic school for the setting because it allowed for more guilt (guilt about letting down your religion) but I could have borrowed a page from the movie "Kes" and set it in a secular school. In that scene the headmaster bemoans that he's wasting his time trying to teach boys who are too stupid to learn, who are incapable of thought, and are basically trash - then he canes them on the hand.

Should I go back and rewrite the story I wrote because of negative reaction? Of course not.

And I have had negative reactions for some stories. For example, someone thought that 'Cinderella and the Slave Girls' was a very dark story and in some ways it is - as is practically every story that deals with slavery in anyway. You can't have a dark element like slavery without its darkness seeping into the rest of the story. Did I rewrite it? No. If hundreds of people said "Wow - what a dark story!" then would I rewrite it? No - and part of the reason is another thread, where someone basically said "I like dark stories - which ones are dark?".

This community already has a gatekeeper. I'm sure that if I was going to write a snuff story disguised as a spanking one that it wouldn't be accepted by the librarians. If I was going write a <insert the most disgusting thing you can think of> type of story the librarians would say "no, it doesn't fit the library" - which is a much better way of handling things then saying "I don't like this so you should change it".

If you read a story and you don't like it, my advice is to rewrite it - turning it into something you do enjoy. Just change the names somewhat, maybe vary the situation slightly, and "fix it". Then see if people enjoy your story more. I'm betting that both stories will have fans, but those fans will be different people.

Goodgulf

blimp
Male Author

England
#18 | Posted: 3 Oct 2011 18:42
Guy:
That's not necessarily true. I am perfectly capable of liking or disliking characters whilst mainlining a firm understanding that they are fictional.

I am not talking about you Guy. I know you know the difference between reality and fiction but I think CS gets confused. On another story, not by me, CS says he doesn't know if he would send his children to this school!!!? Well why would you!!! It doesn't exist other than in the authors imagination! Sorry but I give up!!!!!!!!

BrianV
Male Author

England
#19 | Posted: 3 Oct 2011 20:06
Thank you contributors! It seems that some readers don't understand the meaning of the word 'Fiction'. If you look it up in a dictionary what do you find? Er... Untrue, imaginary. Please, authors out there, let your imagination run riot. It's an absolute joy to read your stories, no matter how unlikely they are in today's politically correct climate. It is, ultimately, what I enjoy so much about this site. I, for one, have no intention of changing anything!

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#20 | Posted: 3 Oct 2011 20:12
To keep this on track, I know sometimes I type before I think and if I do that I have to say "I'm sorry" to anyone I may have accidently said things I should not have.

Page  Page 2 of 9: «« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »»

Online now: Members - 1 : Guests - 11
Kay2ks
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9