LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Stories with/about spanking

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»
LawrenceKinden
Male Author

USA
#1 | Posted: 20 Sep 2011 23:43
In my head, when I'm writing, I tend to make a distinction between stories about spanking and stories with spanking. Often I feel like I'm shooting for a story with spanking, the distinction being that I'm focusing more on the story than the "money shot". I suppose I think that a story with spanking is of more merit as it's about character rather than spanking, in the same way that genre fiction is more interesting if the characters are sympathetic than if it's just a string of descriptions of sword fights and monsters and magic.

Pretentious, eh?

On the other hand, sometimes I write a story and I realize it's all about the spanking and I'll try to embrace that, make it an interesting examination of a spanking. Even so, I often feel that I'm writing a better story if the spanking is part of the story, not the center thereof.

So, I'm curious, do any of you feel the same? Do any of you think I'm totally wrong? Do you see the same distinction or do you think there is none?

-LK

rollin
Male Member

USA
#2 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 00:10
There is a big difference and I've talked about this distinction here and elsewhere. Most of my stories now--not all, there are throwbacks---are stories WITH spanking but not ABOUT spanking. The best examples I can give are my "historical" genre stories like "Anne of Wulfstedt", mystery/thriller stories like" LaForge (the trilogy)", and more recently "Flash Gordon and the Menace from Mongo". These are stories that have what I call an external plot line. In other words there is a story arc and conflict that does not revolve around the fact that someone gets spanked. What I try to do is first and foremost, is tell a good story. It can be a quest, a mystery, a romance, or whatever, but it is more than a description of someone getting spanked for something they did. But this is a spanking site and so the story needs that element to appeal to readers here. If this were an erotica site, the story would require a sexual dimension.

That is not meant to take anything away from writers who choose to write the traditional "spanking story". That type of story usually lays out some type of infraction and people get punished, like smoking or skipping school. Nothing wrong with that except that options are severely limited vis a vis originality. If that is the focus, a writer should infuse the tale with a new wrinkle. I think for example, a new riff on the old "shoplifter" theme is "Cynthia's Case". Just something to breathe some intrigue or dramatic life into the story.

Whatever way a writer goes the object should be to create memorable characters, hopefully a clever or dramatic plot, and some interest beyond a mere mechanical description of someone's punishment.

njrick
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#3 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 00:18
rollin:
In other words there is a story arc and conflict that does not revolve around the fact that someone gets spanked. What I try to do is first and foremost, is tell a good story.

I agree wholeheartedly. Although I sometimes take up the challenge to come up with a good (often non-disciplinary) reason for a spanking to be given (weight loss, demonstration, sleep aid, taste sensations, "it's paid for"), and use that as the focus of a story (ABOUT spanking), the more interesting challenge is to create an interesting story-line that stands on it's own, with spanking jsut being a nice detail.

canadianspankee
Male Member

Canada
#4 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 01:11
i find stories with spankings tend to be longer and much more involved then stories about spankings. In a lot of my writing I hope I express a morale or a statement, sometimes that morale or statment has to be thought about before it catches on but the point is there.

Example is my story "Please Stop I've Had Enough." Simple to see the point there in parts 1 and 2, we can go way beyond what our partner wants and needs if we fail to communicate, so far beyond that we can lose a relationship that we value.

Since most of my stories are relatively short, most under 2500 words I would have to say I write stories about spankings, but that is not to say I think one is better then the other, they are just different.

Sebastian
Male Member

USA
#5 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 05:40
I feel that a story should have STRONG emotional characters. The anticipation of these characters as well as the humiliation of what is going to happen, is very important. The actual spanking itself might be anticlimactic. Important, yes, but not the most important. There should always be a reason for the actual punishment and the punishment should be sensible and not brutal. Overall, the punishment should be a part of the story or plot and should be descriptive as possible, giving all details. There are times that reality is better than fiction.

jools
Female Author

New_Zealand
#6 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 09:52
Yes I think there is a big difference between the two styles of story that LK points out... I think my writing tendency is more towards stories that have a spanking or spankings in them as part of the overall plot, with the main focus of the story being on the characters' personalities and the storyline which I endeavour to build up to make the spanking/s seem credible. I agree that this does tend to make the stories longer than if one were to write about the spanking only. My goal sometime in the future is to write a 500 word story...but that will be quite a challenge for me haha...so I guess to achieve this brevity I will have to focus mainly on the spanking!

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#7 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 14:20
I also feel this distinction. Most of my recent stories are really about relationships, and I have sometimes had the experience of everything running smoothly until I suddenly remember: SPANKING, I've got to get this wench spanked! Perhaps time to move on....?

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#8 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 17:50
I've done both... and sometimes I get confused over which is which...

For example, there's one I'm working on now. There's talk of spanking and someone overhears some smacks being given, but the first 'real' spanking doesn't occur until a ridiculous long way in... It looks like it will be another story that I'll have to split up for this board and I shudder at the number of chapters that will be marked "no spanking" - but are critical for the story.

Goodgulf

PinkAngel
Female Assistant Librarian

Scotland
#9 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 18:19
Goodgulf:
I shudder at the number of chapters that will be marked "no spanking" - but are critical for the story.

I wouldn't worry about it, stats have proved time and time again that genuine reads are no less for parts that have a no actual spanking icon than for other parts of a series...

Alef
Male Author

Norway
#10 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 18:20
Goodgulf:
I shudder at the number of chapters that will be marked "no spanking"

I have four "no actual spanking" in a row now. Thanks God I have a challenge story with a spanking coming up at midnght!

Page  Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 »»

Online now: Members - 7 : Guests - 4
aske1999, fmystery, Glenlivet, grizzlydan2, Heike, larrylarson, PGreenham
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9