LSF Wellred Weekly LSF publications Challenges
The Library of Spanking Fiction Forum / Storyboard /

Anatomy and the English Language

Page  Page 1 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5 »»
Guy
Male Author

USA
#1 | Posted: 13 Aug 2011 16:11
It would make an interesting contest to see how many terms we could craft that bring to mind the human genitalia. Truth is, our language is rich enough that the result would be infinite. This makes me wonder why some authors persist in using such basic terms as "cock" or "pussy".

In a recent story by Billboard, his male character repeatedly refers to the antics of his "little Captain". In the context of his story, there is no doubt of what he is making reference to, yet it seems so much more civilized than "throbbing cock".

In the case of female anatomy, the possibilities are even richer. "Her lowest lips", "her secret delta", "the focus of her femininity", "the dampness below" ... We could go on forever.

When one is trying to depict basic primitive rutting passion, then one might wish to resort to basic primitive language; but otherwise, wouldn't it be better to explore the richness of our language?

Am I wrong?

cfpub
Male Author

USA
#2 | Posted: 13 Aug 2011 17:49
I once spent a year or so mercilessly teasing one of CF's writers because she had a scene in which one character was "worshiping at the font of his manhood." But maybe that's just me.

SNM
Male Author

USA
#3 | Posted: 13 Aug 2011 19:22
Guy:
In a recent story by Billboard, his male character repeatedly refers to the antics of his "little Captain". In the context of his story, there is no doubt of what he is making reference to, yet it seems so much more civilized than "throbbing cock".

You know, this has bugged me for a long time. Except for a few seconds during orgasm, cocks don't throb.

rollin
Male Member

USA
#4 | Posted: 13 Aug 2011 19:35
Writing sex scenes is tricky. On the one hand you want to make it vivid, to paint a word picture for the reader. On the other hand too much anatomical detail comes off as crude. I tend to try a middle ground, probably favoring the less graphic. I try to use words for things that are evocative without resorting to slang that to many readers may be offensive, but it is difficult. There are sites on the web that actually have links to tutorials on how to write sex scenes and I think that they are associated with Romance genre sites. If I can remember where I saw this, I'll post it.

tiptopper
Male Author

USA
#5 | Posted: 13 Aug 2011 21:36
In 1947 the blues man Big Joe Turner recorded his most popular song "Shake, Rattle and Roll". It was covered in the 50's by Bill Haley and the Comets using a "more polite" set of lyrics.

Interestingly enough they left in the most explicit sexual reference, "I'm like a one eyed cat peeping in a seafood store." Haley probably left that line in because he had one glass eye and thought that nobody would understand the sexual reference to genitalia.

If you haven't figured it out by now "a one eyed cat" refers to the male and "seafood store" refers to the female.

JohnH
Male Member

England
#6 | Posted: 13 Aug 2011 23:42
Do you know, I was CERTAIN there was a really good reason I always loved that song!!! I just never knew what it was until now!!! Thanks for that info, and rest assured that I will sing along with a great big grin every time I hear it now,

jimisim
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#7 | Posted: 13 Aug 2011 23:53
I have used the phrase "a purple flowered morning glory" to describe the morning erection; and "Elysian Heights" for the mons veneris and "The sacred cave or well of Elysium"; but they were very much written or said tongue in cheek.I've always liked the phrase "The one-eyed trouser snake" as well.
It is difficult to write well about sex and although I don't find dick or cock offensive, I do find it difficult to describe the female genitalia without being crude, twee or sounding like a medical dictionary.
The british term fanny has a different meaning across the Atlantic as well.
The phrase front botty is also either very funny or unbearably twee, depending on context.

PS: SNM- If you are ever unlucky to be catheterised or have some other unpleasant medical procedures you will certainly find out that cocks can and do throb and they can throb very painfully for a long time!!

JohnH
Male Member

England
#8 | Posted: 14 Aug 2011 00:19
Sounds a little like the old joke in the PS:
"Please take the pain away Doctor, but would it be possible to leave the swelling where it is"

barretthunter
Male Author

England
#9 | Posted: 14 Aug 2011 13:43
cfpub:
I once spent a year or so mercilessly teasing one of CF's writers because she had a scene in which one character was "worshiping at the font of his manhood." But maybe that's just me.

Absolutely! It should be "worshipping".

cfpub
Male Author

USA
#10 | Posted: 14 Aug 2011 15:54
barretthunter:
cfpub:

Absolutely! It should be "worshipping".

The spell checker here at the library demands "worshiping", and it probably has a direct line of communication with Ms. Thrashbottom.

Page  Page 1 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5 »»

Online now: Members - 3 : Guests - 12
brettchad, jschuss1, Stredlie
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9