An Act of Revenge Story Challenge 2017

Page  Page 13 of 14: «« 1 2 3  ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »»
BashfulBob
Male Author

Ireland
SUBSCRIBER

#121 | Posted: 10 Dec 2017 13:22
Spankedjenny:
I submitted one entry to one challenge and I believe that was perhaps 3 challenges ago. I had so much fun doing so and you know what? I DID win that challenge! Not in the fact that I had the most votes...heck, I don't know how many votes I even had and I could care less. I"won" because it got me off my lazy butt and got me to write a story that several people enjoyed.

I think SpankedJenny speaks for a lot of us (all of us?). Is this not what the Challenge set out to achieve? Alef's post, immediately above, summarises my views precisely, although much more eloquently than I could imagine. So F&F, please rethink your decision.

Hotspur
Male Author

South_Africa
#122 | Posted: 10 Dec 2017 13:28
Well said Alef and I totally agree with every point you are making.

I've participated in a couple of challenges although not the last one. For me the challenges represented a way of writing on new subjects and/or using scenarios that I may not have otherwise come up with.

I'll be very sorry to see them go and would like to thank flopsy and Februs for all the work they've put in to make the challenges so successful in the past.

FiBlue
Female Author

USA
#123 | Posted: 10 Dec 2017 16:03
What Alef said!

yankee
Male Member

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#124 | Posted: 11 Dec 2017 01:22
What Alef said x2

teresasimpson
Female Author

USA
#125 | Posted: 3 Jun 2018 07:19
I regret having raised an issue with the scoring procedures because the result has been that Challenges are not being continued. I liked the Challenges because they encouraged me to write. I also liked being part of the group offering my stories.

I wish we could still have Challenges!

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#126 | Posted: 4 Jun 2018 11:57
Spankedjenny:
For whatever it's worth, I thought these challenges, and all that Februs and Flopsy do for us and the site for that matter, were excellent.

Totally agree.

I hadn't contributed to this thread, as I felt the scoring procedure was perfectly fine. And I always enjoyed the Challenges, reading the entries no less than contributing my own. So I'm really sorry that they're being discontinued. Maybe one day they'll be reinstated? Hope so!

Goodgulf
Male Author

Canada
SUBSCRIBER

#127 | Posted: 4 Jun 2018 21:45
I always loved those challenges even if I didn't have time to enter. Writing in a directed way helped me improve as a writer.

CrimsonKidCK
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#128 | Posted: 5 Jun 2018 20:34
canadianspankee:
I understand it is scored total cumulative number. That said if anyone makes an effort to write a story I would say the effort made regardless of one reading it likes the story or not is worth at least 1 or 2 points minimum. Think of how any author would feel if someone said their story was worth nothing. I, for one, could never be that mean.

I missed last fall's Challenge for various reasons (the good one was being on a Caribbean cruise during part of it), but I believe that the lowest rating I've ever given a Challenge entry is a "4."

Most of my ratings tend to be in the "6-to-8" range, as I recall...

--C.K.

CarolinaPaddler
Male Author

USA
SUBSCRIBER

#129 | Posted: 6 Jun 2018 12:48
I wanted to weigh in on the challenge. The thing I liked most about them was the feeling that through the diversity of story offerings, we, together were a team. Each one was part of something that as a whole was a challenge that readers were free to enjoy and comment on if the wanted too. Just my two cents. Thanks to Flopsy, Februs and staff who worked diligently to make challenges a reality.

PhilK
Male Author

England
SUBSCRIBER

#130 | Posted: 7 Jun 2018 11:41
Another reason for regretting the demise of the Challenges is that they encouraged comments. Any month that included a Challenge always scored higher on its comments total.

And - as I'm sure my fellow-authors will have noticed - the comments tally has been declining disastrously of late. For the past four months it's fallen well below 1,000 - something not seen since May 2010, when the membership stood at barely 25% of what it is now. A far cry from the glory days of 2012/13, when we once exceeded 5,000 comments in a single month....

Page  Page 13 of 14: «« 1 2 3  ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »»

Online now: Members - 5 : Guests - 15
Elorac, kdpierre, Nickf, saripas, Seegee
Most users ever online: 268 [25 Nov 2021 01:00] : Guests - 259 / Members - 9